Tropic Marin smells like bleach

ckimble

Quick question for you Tropic Marin users out there... Based on several others recommendations I bought a new tub of TM to try. When I opened the tub it had a very strong chlorine smell. I went ahead and started mixing a batch anyway. It's been about 4 hours and the water is extremely cloudy and smells like bleach. I dont have a chlorine test kit, but was curious if I got a bad batch or if this is normal, will this subside after the water circulates?

Thanks

billyr98

I use TM Pro... But the one thing I like about the salt is how fast it dissolves during the mix!! Never smelled like Chlorine either... I was be a little worried...

ckimble

Stupid me.. I have a chlorine test kit I use for our salt based pool... should work right? I just tested the water and it is reading >3ppm chlorine. That is even too high for my pool?

Taking this one back to the fish store...

R.yumaDaddy?

Mixing TMPR is like reef crack... I cant get enough of that sweeet and fresh smell. If yours smells off dont use it, for sure.

ckimble

OK trying to figure this one out...

I went back to the LFS where I bought it and checked a couple other buckets. They all had what I would call a slight clorine odor. The guys there definately noticed the odor as well and said they had never noticed before. They then brought out the bag they had been using to mix for theirs and customers tanks. It did NOT have the same smell. I took a small amount of the bagged TM home to mix and test with my pool chlorine test kit to see if it was a false positive.

Their mix and their RO/DI came back 0 on the chlorine test. I then mixed my batch of TM with their RO/DI and it tested 0 as well. Confused, I then tested the remaining RO/DI unmixed I had bought from a different LFS. It came back with a positive chlorine reading. I know the other LFS adds Kent Marine PH buffer to all of its RO. Could this possible trigger a false positive? The contents from Kent's web site lists carbonate, bicarbonate and borate salts of sodium, magnesium, and potassium as ingredients. If not, then buyer beware, they are selling bad water and won't get my business again.

I started another small batch with my TM and the good RO/DI and it is dissolved and clear and has no noticable odor at this point.

Could the PH buffer cause this? The only other thing I can think of is I did also add the remaining IO salt ( ~2 cups ) I had in the first batch with the TM. Could there have been some reaction between the salts?

I am really curious if this is just a poorly maintained RO/DI or if the buffer had something to do with it....

I still can't get over how cloudy and strong the chlorine odor was from the mixing container, something definately was wrong there...

Thanks for listening

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Buffers would not create an ammonia spike. I suspect the ro/di water is foul; I would notify the store and then purchase my own ro/di system :)

ckimble

Really glad I caught it as I was using the bad water in my auto-topoff..

I've been meaning to get my own RO/DI guess I've got a good reason to now.

:smoking: "reef crack" :stars: gotta love TM Pro Reef

never smelled anything other than the ocean when i mix it up

good call on not using the mix even better shot on figureing the problem out!:guns: