Tropic Marin Bio-Actif = Low Cal/Mag. Dose???

Ok I have a Calcium reading of 300ppm and Magnesium reading of 1000ppm. This has been confimed by using two different test kits with same results. I started and use TMBA salt on my tank. My salinity is 1.024. Temp is 79. I have a perfect reading of 8 dkh. PH is 8.1.
Everything else is zero.

I just switched salt to CoralLife by Oceanic which is suppose to be super high in Calcium and Magnesium. 25% water change and same test result. 300/1000 ppm:flaming: For $100+ dollars for the Bio-Actif salt and having to deal with this I am pissed off!!

So should I just keep doing water changes to try and get it up or should I start dosing? I have never dosed before and am nervous about it because I dont want to scew up water perameters or nuke my tank.

I currently only have (2) clownfish, a CUC, and a couple zoa frags. Tank info in my sig.

WVUReefer

Ooooh..I love chem talk...My advice try Seachem Reef Complete liquid calcium with magnesium...I have tried all sorts of Calcium liquids and this one I have to say is the best...Since I started using it a year ago, my CA has never fallen below 420..Also I have noticed if you use the Red Sea tests they are way off..I use API, but Salifert is a better bet...My LFS only carries API...You only have fish and some zoas all of which are not demanding on CA..so its not a huge concern on how quickly you get that level up, and liquid dosing takes a few weeks to get stable..If you really want a shot in the arm(and I mean a shot..please don' try this unless you are comfortable with your chemistry abilities) Kent makes Turbo Calcium...Basically they're pellets of calcium chloride (like liquid CA without the liquid)..They will shoot your CA up quickly, but it doesn't contain magnesium so you will also have to add that as well..I personally would try a bottle of the Seachm first...

luke

i love tropic marin bio cal and mag. powder it is great stuff. after i started adding corals i tested my tank and my call was 320 and mag was 900. used tropic marin and now cal is at 420 and mag is at 1350 dkh is dosed with brightwell powder and it stays around 8 to 10

WVU, yeah I heard Seachem was ligit so I think I will try dosing with that and the Magnesium. But what about Alkalinity? Even though its right where I want it now, I assume adding Cal/Mag is def. gonna have some impact on my dkh reading corect? Will I have to be ready to dose for that as well?
I use API and Salifert test kits also. Good stuff.

And lastly, what is the best way to figure out how much to dose daily? All those Reef Calculators tell you is how much total you need to dose but doesnt break it down daily for you??

WVUReefer

The Seachem Reef Complete contains calc/mag ratio so you o not have to dose mag by itself...My DKH always stays at 9 when dosing this..I keep it at 9 because the higher the DKH the lower your PH they are inversely related...I honestly only dose DKH once a month....Also it is my experince that chems from different brands react differently together..I use all Seachem. I noticed when using Seachem with Kent and so on that the chems did not always work as they were supposed to...5ml per 20g twice a week...Each 5ml will raise CA by about 10ml..I would run 2 tests before adding the CA...Get a base starting point of where your at...Dose twice that week the alotted amount for your tank..Then run 2 tests..Example:
1. Sun-run tests before you dose you get a reading of 320ppm
2. Sun-after test dose the amount per your aquarium
3. Wed-dose the amount per your aquarium
4. Fri-retest CA now it's 360ppm (you now have a measurable base point)
Like I said before don't give up if your tests are not reading a huge number difference. Sometimes it takes a few weeks of regimen to get your CA to where you would like it..Initially it took me about 3 weeks to get to CA saturation..

WVUReefer

I forgot....If you overdose you can effect your DKH...If you overdose..If you are going to dose DKH and CA make sure you alternate the days..If you dose CA on Sun..Dose DKH on Mon..I think this will fix your problem..I dose heavy CA, but I also have clams and LPS which really suck my CA out of the water..Also, I am to the point to where I know how much and when....

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Chris

You have lots of issues here

So should I just keep doing water changes to try and get it up or should I start dosing?

Yes do two large water changes in a row at least 50 % if not 75 % for each with salt of choice. I guarantee you you will have about levels as one should from the salt of choice.

Then remeasure Ca+=, Mg++ and Alk

This part of you big issue

300ppm and Magnesium reading of 1000ppm.

Low Mg++ causes Ca++ to leave solution due to kinetics and can causes the formation of abiotic CaCO3 and you are very low in Mg++ by almost 300 ppm. You need to get that Mg++ up to 1300 ppm before you even think about adding any Ca++.

All those Reef Calculators tell you is how much total you need to dose but doesnt break it down daily for you??

Yes they do :)

Lets pretend your daily usage is 5 ppm Ca++ per day and have 50 gal of water. So, you need to raise the Ca++ from 420 ppm to 425 ppm each day and are using Kent Turbo Calcium

Reef Chemistry Calculator

50 gal in first box
420 ppm Ca++ in second box
425 ppm in 3rd box
Kent Turbo in last box

You add 2.6 grams; 0 oz; approx 0.5 tsp. So, if your tank used 5 ppm / day of Ca++ each day you would add about 1/2 tsp of Kent Turbo.

There is nothing magical about any of these additives they are all pretty much the same, although some may very in concentration. Pick the ones you like, SeaChem is fine.

Now if you want to go the non-water change route, then get a Mg++ sup. Add enough from the calculator to raise the Mg++ up 100 ppm. So, that will be 3 days in a row at 100 ppm /day. Once at about 1300 ppm then start to add the Ca++ at 50 ppm / day. That will be 2 days at 50 ppm and the 3rd day do 25 ppm, = 425 ppm. After each addition check the Alk and pH and adjust if needed. We have been doing things like this for like 25 years.

Now if you want to go the non-water change route, then get a Mg++ sup. Add enough from the calculator to raise the Mg++ up 100 ppm. So, that will be 3 days in a row at 100 ppm /day. Once at about 1300 ppm then start to add the Ca++ at 50 ppm / day. That will be 2 days at 50 ppm and the 3rd day do 25 ppm, = 425 ppm. After each addition check the Alk and pH and adjust if needed. We have been doing things like this for like 25 years.

Ok I am going to take all this information and apply it this week and will report back. I really appreciate the help from you WVU, and Boomer!

Ok I got it figured out now. I bought E.S.V. B-Ionic Magnesium and it says to get it up 100ppm per week so this week I got it up to 1100ppm Mag. Very easy to do. Just have to perform alot of water tests to get it right but I recorded what I did so i know how much to add now for dosing.

I am not going to dose Calcium till I get the Magnesium up like Boomer suggested. Besides the new Salt I bought is at 420ppm CAL anyways so water changes are all I basically need right now.

Boomer

Warren it is safe to raise the Mg++ 100 ppm /day, it is very common in this hobby. And the Ca++ 50 ppm / day. I will add you are wasting money buy using ESV 2- part for this, as it is much more expensive this way. You should have just but something like a SeaChem Mg++ sup and Kent's Turbo Ca++ for this. Then once there use the ESV to sup as needed.

Warren it is safe to raise the Mg++ 100 ppm /day, it is very common in this hobby. And the Ca++ 50 ppm / day. I will add you are wasting money buy using ESV 2- part for this, as it is much more expensive this way. You should have just but something like a SeaChem Mg++ sup and Kent's Turbo Ca++ for this. Then once there use the ESV to sup as needed.

I didnt buy the ESV 2-part. I just bought the ESV Magnesium. It was only $11?? And for Calcium I really like Seachem. There products are really reputable and it was only $9. So for $20 I am good to go.
Didnt know I could go 100ppm per day... it just said per week on the directions. Thats good to know! I am just slowly raising it up weekly with my water changes. I will probably start doing 2 per week to get everything where it needs be now though.

Boomer

Lots of people do it is great stuff if used right. It and B-Ionic, which is about the same, are very common in this reef hobby.

1Reefer

I use the ESV 2 part Calc/Alk. Its great, between the water changes all I do is dose ESV daily and my calc stays at 425 ppm and alk stays at 11.2 dKH. I don't have a magnesium test kit but I'll purchase one to get a number reading for you guys.

I use the ESV 2 part Calc/Alk. Its great, between the water changes all I do is dose ESV daily and my calc stays at 425 ppm and alk stays at 11.2 dKH. I don't have a magnesium test kit but I'll purchase one to get a number reading for you guys.

11.2 is actually pushin the high side. I run 8.2 dkh in my tank.

1Reefer

What are the adverse affects of having high alk. ?
Mine is constant at 11.2 and everything looks great. Fish, inverts, softies, and both LPS and SPS. Granted I don't have any difficult to keep corals and I know very little in comparison to most others here but my high alkalinity doesn't seem to be negitively affecting anything in my tank.

WVUReefer

DKH and PH is an inverse ratio...Which sometimes The higher the one the lower the other...If it is not a problem in your tank then I wouldn't worry about it..Go with what works for you..

rgfast

I'm confussed I thought you had whatch your PH level as you raise alk so that your ph woundn't go over 8.4 an as you raised one so did the other.Dosing in the morning to raise your dk level slowly as not to have a ph spike