trimming kenya tree

freezerrat

I have a kenya tree that is becoming overgrown and starting to shade some zoas. I just want to make sure I cut it back correctly. I think you just slice branches off with a razor. Yes? And is it best to do it at night after it has "deflated" or when it is extended? Or does it not matter? I've never done it before and don't want to do any harm. Thanks.

NCguy

WiseGuy
It will deflate night or day as soon as you touch it but yes you just slice the branches off with a razor. I held mine under water in a bowl and cut the peices off.Not that you have to do it that way,I just can't stand seeing my corals lie there out of the water suffering. (even though I just mutilated it with a razor :chainsaw: ) :D

corrado007

Kenya trees are AMAZINGLY sturdy. I'm constantly snipping away at mine to keep them under control. I just use some stainless steal reef scissors I bought online and snip away during the day when they are expanded. You can snip the things like you're trimming a shrub or something. They will shrink up but will be just fine. You can throw the "clippings"/frags on a pile of rock rubble and they will attach and grow pretty quickly assuming your water conditions are pretty good.
Good luck.

JWarren

Yup!

Justins right! Just go at it like you are trimming a tree. Trim each limb close to the trunk if don't want a branch there or leave a little hanging and branch will come back there for sure.

Go for it!

JWarren

Any toxin concerns like with zoos?

I have not noticed any. I just had a branch let go in the tank and all was fine with the other critters.

As far as for yourself, always were safty glasses and gloves this is a given for all species and should never be put aside no matter what!

Ratpack

My kenya tree keeps fragging itself and I haven't noticed any adverse effects in the tank. Wouldn't hurt to run carbon if you are cutting in the tank though, just to be safe.