"Trimming an Anenome"

Brucey

RL, Pic's are all tied up on RAG at the moment in my gallary .... I have a note on my desktop to move the Pics over to RSanctuary when I get a moment. Here's a link to the most recent Pic I have (about 3 months old). You can see the Montipora next to it which it destroyed and the Acro's is just off to the left with a Hysterix just off to the right ..... I really don't want to lose them to but then I love the guy ..... What do you do !!!!!
Brucey

http://www.reefaquariumguide.com/ph...o=10138&size=big&password=&sort=7&thecat=3072

TDEVIL

hay mate, i agree with others, and i wasnt sure if it would split or not

i say take the fresh water tank and turn it into a anemone tank, i think it would be big enough ;)

but you prob dont want to do that, IMO, i would use the Q tank, although a bit small, you could atleast keep it in there for a while intil you and the "wife" (to be), decide what to do, i know how much it means to you and i would hate to see you get rid of it, but on the other hand if you do get rid of it you will more that likely want another anemone, and be in the same boat then

the things we go through ;)

also
WELCOME to RS

TD

TDEVIL

here is the pic for those of you that cant log onto the RAG

3280MAINE_M-med.jpg

TD

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
what a monster Brucey !!! It does look awesome. I was in a similar situation I have a small tank and my Sebae anemone was growing at an alarming rate 3" to almost 1' wide in about 6 months it died when it wrapped itself around the heater :grr: I was going to bring it back to the lfs but it was too late. IMHO I would give it to someone in the hobby I would trust to care for it :smirk:

Maxx

That things a beast! I know Jupiter has lots of experiance w/ anemones and he would certainly be able to care for it. Maybe he has room for it in one of his tanks. Could you guys work something out on shipping? I wish my 58 was ready 'cause I'd be more than happy to take that beast off your hands. How long are you willing to hold on to it?
Nick

Brucey

Guys, I would be over the moon if I could ship it to anybody here I could trust ..... just to know it had gone to a good home is the major thing stopping me taking it to LFS ..... I just would hate to think it had fallen into the wrong caring hands. Anyone who wants it, I will ship to, but I have never done ANYTHING like that before and remember I'm in the UK ....... I would need advice on how to package and send it. Thanks for all your thoughts, and yes, it is gorgeous ..... just likes killing coral

J

jupiter

Originally posted by Maxx
That things a beast! I know Jupiter has lots of experiance w/ anemones and he would certainly be able to care for it. Maybe he has room for it in one of his tanks. Could you guys work something out on shipping?

Whoa! Thanks for the kind words again, Maxx, but I will never touch a ritteri again for a LONG time. Their success rate is really poor. The last one I had (2 years ago) died in 2 days; perfect on day one, dead on day two. I couldn't figure it out so I just decided they are off limits. Virtually all clowns LOVE them, though.

I commend you Brucey for keeping it so healthy and strong for the last year. It's a good accomplishment. If it were me, I'd hold on to it just to prove the the world that ritteri anemones really can live longer than 2 years in captivity ;)

After all this talk I feel like getting myself a ritteri [MUST ... NOT...GIVE...IN!]

Brucey

Jups .... LOL. I know what you mean. One day it drives me mad as the tentacles seem to get that extra bit longer and it starts touching my acro's ..... then another day, I love it to bits. To make things even worse for me to lose it, is that I have a breeding pair of perc's in there who adore it and being the silly old sod (well only 36) that I am, I would feel guilty about them losing their home .... I mean, how would I like it. If I KNEW i could pass it onto someone else who would give it the conditions it needs I would have no problem at all, but I'm just not even sure it would survive being removed from it's spot. It hasn't moved an inch in over a year. Two PH on it and a 250W MH about 4 inches directly above. The thing is in paradise.
Oh well, watch this space
Brucey

Maxx

Brucey,
you'd pretty much have to ship it w/ "its" rock attached, or at least part of its rock. Don't know how much fun that'll be for you...
Lemme do some asking around about ways to get this beast off the rock.
Nick

Brucey

Maxx, Don't worry too much dood / From all I've read I don't think it would survive the shipping anyhow .... Thanks for the effort
Brucey

wooddood

the wood dude
i agree with most others i would start an anenome tank and keep that beauty just to see how big it will get.good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Maxx

I just posted a thread on the anemone's and clownfish forum over @ RC. Hopefully we'll get some answers there.
Nick

Gina

RS STAFF
How do you think it would do though having it shipped? I'm not real sure that I would want to risk that either. Maybe you could find someone in the U.K. that would take it. But, if I really liked it that much I too would probably give in and start up another tank for it. Interesting thread....curious to see where the story ends.

Gina

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
I agree with Jup and Craig. Me, a rit this big, I would never let anyone have it . I once had a tube anemone this big.there is no way I would have given him to somebody. He died do to a bad batch of salt, after 15 years and is a major reason I no longer have tanks, along with the all the other animals I had in those tanks.

That is quite an accomplishment Brucey
:thumber: