Tridacnid Clams

lbiminiblue

Hey guys, tank's been up for a few weeks now, everything's looking great.

I've been looking to spice up the colors, and I was wondering about a tridacnid clam.

How are these guys as far as care goes? I'm guessing two LED units that have my frogspawn blooming should be able to support it.

Anyone have suggestions for clams, or tips for taking care of them?

DaveK

Clams need very high quality water and very intense lighting. Unless you have some really high end LED lighting fixtures, I'd say that keeping clams would be marginal. I'm also not sure if your filtration system is up to the tast, but this is more dependent upon the number and size of fish kept in the system.

So far your tank is new and your keeping comparatively low light corals. I recommend you wait about 6 months and make sure the tank is stable before you attempt a clam. This is similar to what I'd recommend for an anemone. I would also recommend that your first try a few SPS coral frags first, since they are about as demanding, and cost a lot less then a clam.

Pat24601

There is something about whatever I'm doing and clams that doesn't seem to mix. :(. I had a gorgeous maxima clam that I kept for several months, but it died suddenly and I don't know why. I watched my parameters really closely and I don't think that was the problem.

I thought maybe I hurt its foot on accident, so I tried a deresa clam and that lasted about a month.

Until I figure out what I'm doing wrong, no more clams for me, which is a shame because I really like them and I don't see why they shouldn't be doing well in my tank.

I think it could be my lighting. This was before LEDs. I dunno, though.

Last edited:

lbiminiblue

Clams need very high quality water and very intense lighting. Unless you have some really high end LED lighting fixtures, I'd say that keeping clams would be marginal. I'm also not sure if your filtration system is up to the tast, but this is more dependent upon the number and size of fish kept in the system.

So far your tank is new and your keeping comparatively low light corals. I recommend you wait about 6 months and make sure the tank is stable before you attempt a clam. This is similar to what I'd recommend for an anemone. I would also recommend that your first try a few SPS coral frags first, since they are about as demanding, and cost a lot less then a clam.
Thanks for the response

This tank is actually the same one I've had for a while. I'm coming up on 4 years, the rocks and sand were stored in circulation while the tank was cleaned, so its got all the mature rock and sand.

The LEDs are DM 165p+. I'm not sure where they rank on the high end specturm but maybe someone else does.

Right now the bioload is very small, two clowns a sandsifter and an inch long goby.