Tragically overdoing it?

TylerHaworth

Simple question, please chime in with a simple yes/no, and perhaps a brief explanation!

Do you think I will be tragically overstocking my 75 gallon if I add a Purple Tang?

Current stocking is:

One Spot Foxface (6")
Maroon Clown (3.5-4")
Royal Gramma (3")
Purple Firefish (2-2.5")

The Tang would be the final fish addition, nothing else.

I giess the Six Line wasn't meant to be... he just took a ride through the mouth of the porcelain god...

Last edited:

DaveK

I don't think you'll be overstocking the tank. However tangs do grow rather large. A 75 gal tank is about the minimum size for a purple tang. I wouldn't add any additional fish.

I would also quarantine the tang before you add it. Tangs can be notorious "ick magnets".

DrHank

No but that's where I'd stop. I have a Purple and a Foxface together in my 200 gal and they get along fine. It's one of the best choices you could make if you wanted a Tang in your 75. I definitely wouldn't add anything else.

lcstorc

IMO pushing it.
There are a couple of pretty large and territorial fish on the list already. You would have to really be good about maintenance and territory will become an issue as they grow.

rmlevasseur

A small purple tang should be ok for a few years, but eventually will need a bigger home. Keep in mind that these guys can be total terrors. On the plus side, I have found them to be more resistant to ick than most other tangs.

MotoReef

Overloading is a question of water parameter as you can maintain it. It's really not the capacity of the tank or the mechanical capabilities of the filters. These equipment make life easier by maintaining the water more stable and clean BETWEEN water changes, but nothing really requires NO water changes. So loading more fish just means just THAT much more more maintenance.

You can add the fish and monitor the water for a few months during maintenance, and you'll see the degradation is more rapid in water and more frequent you'll be cleaning or changing water.

I think though, "loading" issue is more important in terms of mental state of fish in a reef tank, and keeping them healthy through giving them enough "space" should be the main concern. And in this case, the bigger the better is always the rule of thumb.

my opinion..:)

wm23oh

I'm still new here but their are so many factors as to what overstocking is IMO I don't think anyone could really give you a 100% yes or no.

My personal opinion is you are overstocking your aquarium. :nono: I know freshwater and saltwater are different in many ways but then again their are just as many ways they are alike.

What I mean is I had 4 Goldfish in a 125 gallon aquarium. They grew to about 6" long. Although they did just fine for a few years eventually I lost all but 1 due to flukes (long story). I know it's not the same but my point is this... I had 4 6" goldfish in a 125 gallon aquarium and I felt that their wasn't enough room for them to have their own space. The last Goldfish was moved to a 38 gallon bow front aquarium all by himself and to some degree I feel like it's still too small when you consider the size of him and the actual space he is able to move in.

Their are many other things that can also cause stress in such crowded conditions such as the individule nutrition needs of each fish, color, shape, paterns, and hormones released by the other fish and the list goes on.

I'm still learning but you asked for our opinions and that's mine. :poke:

A beautiful tank means nothing if someone is stressed :crowd: because eventually :hammerhea someone is going to get hurt or sick.

Just my 2¢.

James