Tragedy

A great tragedy occured in my tank overnight. As far as I can tell, the pump to my Remora Pro shorted out and it electrocuted the fish in my tank. The pump is totally fried.

Dug, Seven, Zorro, Spot, all gone. 7 of my 9 fish died. My remaining clownfish and my firefish are at my lfs while I figure out what to do. My 3 shrimp got zapped too.

It isn't my water because the parameters are the same as always.

My snails, crabs, urchin, and starfish are all ok. My anemones, frogspawn, 'shrooms, and bristleworms are ok too. I think maybe its because they have a totally different body structure than my fish. And from what I've read, the firefish coats itself at night to protect it from predators, so maybe that's what helped him to survive. I don't know.

I'm going to let my tank cycle or do its thing for a few weeks and decide what to do.

I guess its a fresh start for me.

I called the AquaC company and left a message, and hopefully they can do something to help me. Not only did I lose my great fish, but that's about $200 down the drain, not counting the pump.

I feel so bad for my fishies.....

chriswho

I'm sorry man. Someone on this site said it best when they said, "Of all the ways to lose livestock, equipment failure is the worst." Very true indeed.

Today my urchin bit the dust and my starfish has lost an arm, plus the stump of one that was just starting to grow back.

One the good side, Cal (my firefish) and my remaining clown are doing well at my lfs.

Thanks for all your support...

dianezoo

Geez, that is sad and you must be terribly discouraged, as I think I would be.
Did you have the skimmer very long? I hope they can assist you. What kind of pump is on a the Remora?

I finally managed to talk to Jason, the president of AquaC, and he said he didn't think it was electrocution that killed my fish, that he didn't think it was possible for fish to get electrocuted.

I did some research and found several sites that mention electrocution of fish. What are your opinions on it??

Jason told me to take apart the pump, clean it, then try to run it again.
So I took apart the pump and put it back together again, and tried running it in my bucket of RO water. It worked, so that's good.

But its also bad, because that means I have no idea what caused the deaths if not the current from the pump.

Before putting the pump back into the water, I again tested my water and got the following:

pH 7.8
Nitrate 20
Nitrite .25
Ammonia 0
S.G. 1.025
Temp 78

All within pretty good limits, so I still don't know.

He said it could have been an oxygen drop from when the pump was off, but I still had my 2 powerheads going and I've had my skimmer off before with no problems.

This sucks.....

dianezoo

That is bizzare. what would kill that many fish in such a short period of time. You woke up in the morining and found 7 fish dead. and your tank chemistry was fine. (I would think 7 dead fish would show some sort of spike in your perameters. Im sorry I cant think of what cold have contributed to the losses.

Snelly40

so sorry to hear your news. Unfortunately i know the exact feeling and it is very demoralizing. Keeo your head up and just in case it was electricity, which it def could be since electricity can definately pass through salt water, check these out..
Aquarium Titanium Ground Probe
put in display tank not in sump

wazzifam

Quite sorry to hear of your trouble. hopefully you get it figured out so it doesnt happen again. Keep us informed.

Kim

Looks like I'm going to have to swallow the cost of the lost fish. It's an unexplained mystery.

My starfish has died and totally fallen apart, and my frogspawn has fallen out of its home and is just kind of free floating (or rather free laying on the bottom of the tank)

My anemones are still doing ok and so are my crabs and snails. I don't know what's going on with my tank....

Tonz of fun

I am sorry for your loss, Unfortunately I dont think Aqua C is to blame here, You said it was your pump so its either Mag Drive or Maxi Jet, which is very common...