Toying with the idea

iamkellogg

I have been toying with the idea of getting dwarf seahorses. I have been researching all that is needed and I am lost about the tank. I found this article.

Here is a small Eclipse 6  gallon that I set up

But it is for a larger setup. I was thinking of starting smaller a 5 gallon and if that is successful moving up later. I know that feeding is tricky that is why I wanted to start in a 5 gallon. I already hatch brine shrimp daily for my coral and FW angel babies.

My questions are:

1. Are the 5 gallon kits ok or is it better just to buy the items seperately?
2. Would buying a nano be better or are they just pretty to look at and more expensive?
3. Is there a good place to buy small tanks cheap?
4. Where to get the ponies?

I want to have a nice set up but I want it to be functional over pretty. I have read that people have to tweak the kits to make them work and that some leak. What is really needed?

Kelly

InLimbo87

How about a 2.5 gallon AGA with one of those mini-hob filters on it. They say the smaller the better for dwarf seahorses because of feeding densities.

DrHank

Something in the hobby that actually calls for a smaller thank. I thought that I'd never see the day.

lcstorc

I would be very careful with putting seahorses in such a small tank. They need very good water quality which is going to be difficult in such a small tank. I am not sure about the dwarfs but regular sized ponies need cooler water than our reefs usually have. You would have to figure out a way to cool the tank significantly. The recommendation I keep hearing is 72-74 degrees. I kept mine at 77 and that is apparently too high and has been blamed by the experts as the reason I keep losing my ponies.
I do know that Matt has a good supplier for regular sized ponies but I am not sure if they have the dwarfs. I have never seen them for sale that I can remember.

iamkellogg

I have been research the dwarves and they NEED the smaller space because of feeding issues. These only get an inch to 2 inches big. A lot of people do not use heaters. Other than feeding them brine shrimp and rotifers all the time (up to 4 times a day) these are the easiest ponies to have...or so I have read. They are also....SO Darn Cute!

Kelly

lcstorc

I certainly would not use a heater. In most cases it is a chiller that is needed.
I will certainly bow to your greater knowledge of the dwarfs since I have never reasearched them thoroughly nor tried to keep them.
I know a lot more about Kudas and Redi since those are the types I have had.
Also while the small tank may be better for the feeding, I would still be concerned about water parameters, particularly with the higher feeding requirements. Obviously it can be done, but it would take quite a bit of maintenance and monitoring.
Probably the best thing would be something similar to my setup where I have a small pony tank plumed intoo the filtration of my much larger reef. This allows the much larger system to remove the decaying food that the ponies do not eat.
If you do get them, you absolutely must post pics. :)
I have seen these adorable animals at aquariums and they are too cute for words. I hope you have a great time with them if you decide to take the plunge.

Diana

I think a 5 gallon is the best... gives you a little more water volume to work with but is small enough for feeding. You'd need to get about 5 pairs in there, though. I have for a long time wanted to keep dwarves, but finding them in Canada has been a bit of an issue. Oh, and the commitment to continuously hatching BBS is also going to be a PITA.

Good luck,
-Diana

zimboy

Welcome to RS Diana :) Post a thread in the meet an greet section so all the folks can say hi. Good to have another fellow canuk on the boards.