touching and attaching polyps

timwu12

Hi,

Is it true that you can't touch polyps with your barehands or else they'll die? Also, how exactly do you attach polpys and coral to live rock? do you just put it there and let it attach by itself? or tie it down?

Thanks!

lcstorc

What kind of polyp are you referring to? If it is zoanthids the coral may not die but you may. They contain the most potent palytoxin in the plant world. Reactions can varry from itching to death.
The method of attachment varies. Often superglue gell works but it depends on the coral. Most attach the frag to a small frag plug which then is glued to the main rockwork.

timwu12

well if you can't touch it, then how do you put it in the tank? Say you have a star polyp, how do you put that in?

rlcline76

Star polyps are different, although I would say that most corals have some sort of toxin. I don't worry about gsp. You can just super glue the matting to the rock. It is always advisable, to wear gloves when handling corals and whenever you need to put your hands in the tank.

funkpolice

Maybe I'm mistaken, and I suppose it doesn't really matter, but I don't think Zoanthids are part of the "plant world."
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Cnidaria
Class: Anthozoa
Order: Zoanthidia

Sorry, I'm married to a high school Biology teacher, and she's made all of this very clear to me.
bill

BoomerD

Funky is right, zoanthids are indeed animals, as are all corals.

I've kept and fragged zoanthids for years and the handling of them never had any negative long term impact on them. Yes, because of the potential for palytoxins, you need to use precautions when handling/fragging them, but IMO, not necessary for just putting them in the tank.

SJS

I wear gloves whenever i am "playing" in the tank - I dont want to transfer any gunk on my hands into the tank and dont want any tank gunk getting into any cuts etc.. on my hands. Sometimes i use dish gloves - and I have extra long Coralife gloves...