topping-off a tank due to evaporation

JT101

I'm not quite ready to get a RO/DI unit just yet (unless you folk can convince me otherwise) so I'm just looking for a simple way to stay on top of tank evaporation. Would it be OK for me to just pick up a few jugs of distilled water and just top-off every few days or so? Also, I know that if you wait too long the salinity will get too high then when you top off it will drop fast - what is the recommended schedule?

Thanks
JT101

Cassette87

I use steam distilled water that i pick up at the local supermarket. I just don't let the water go more than 1/2' below the trim. basically i think the rule of thumb is like don't let more than three percent evap, or else salinity changes could get dangerous. i would just mark a little spot someplace on the tank, and make sure it's never below that :) but yea, distilled is excellent water!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I recommend topping off no less than once a day (twice is better). Topping off less often is stressful to the tank inhabitants. Not only does the ph get affected but the salinity and temp do also. I highly recommend setting up an ATO unit; AutoTopoff.com

As far as purchasing filtered water, remember that not all filtered water is made the same! I would check the TDS (total dissolved solids) using an inexpensive meter and possibly test it for phosphates, nitrates, and maybe even copper.

Before I bought my ro/di filter, I was tried purchasing filtered water from a LFS. After algae issues, I realized the importance of a TDS meter. After buying one and testing their 'filtered' water, I confirmed that their system needed new filters BADLY and was producing very bad water. I started shopping for ro/di filters immediately...

Cougra

Yes you can use Distilled water and so long as it isn't a problem for you get it on a regular basis then it's ok. What do you use to make up the saltwater in the tank?

When I first set up my tank I used to get water from a local Water purification store to mix up for the water changes in my tank and for topoffs. After a while I found this to be a pain hauling water around like that and purchased an RO/DI filter. I think it was one of the best things that I got for my tank and myself. It gave me the freedom to do water changes whenever I wanted without having to go to the store first. For me it was the convience of the RO unit that makes it worthwhile. I don't know what I would do without it now.

DrHank

You really want to top off at least daily. The more sensitive your livestock is, the more stability in salinity you need. If you plan to continue in the hobby, it's only a matter of time before your tank will convince you of the need for your own RO/DI unit. Distilled water (and filtered water) is highly variable in quality. You really need a calibrated TDS meter to see what I meen.

For what it's worth I have hears many stories (and have seen my self in a friends tank) the result of a HA bloom which resulted from using Wal-Mart RO water. It took my friend 8 months to reverse the problem. She ultimately bought her own RO/DI unit. I wouldn't look at it as an expense. I'd look at it as a good investment.

Cassette87

hmm... you guys should be RO salesmen i want one now :p and i just found one locally on craigs list for $60 :)

DrHank

It just makes good sense. I picked up a used unit from a guy getting out. Now I have one for home and one for the office. Once you get one, you kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

addict

hmm... you guys should be RO salesmen i want one now :p and i just found one locally on craigs list for $60 :)

Keep in mind that RO units are marketed using the 'Razers and blades' economic structure... the unit itself doesn't cost too much, but the replacement filters are where they get'cha.

I would look at replacement filter cost before purchasing, since some units take special filters instead of the 'one-size-fits-all' filters you can find locally.

I agree that a RO unit is a great investment. I use the heck out of mine.

blue_eyes53813

What size tank do you have JT? Do you know about how much evaporates in a day? It is a great idea to add top off water daily and really doesnt take much time. Mine evaporates about 2-3 gallons a day . That is one of the first things I add every morning. You will eventually (like cassette mentioned) have a visual of the water line on the tank and add as much water is needed to keep the water line at that spot.( like the trim he mentioned). An Ro unit is a very good idea. You will probably get very tired of running to the store for fresh water... RO units are very handy to have.

DrHank

If you have a LFS that you can get DI water from, you might consider a TDS meter and a 6 gallon water jug (try Lowes) to carry it in. That will probably hold you for nearly a week and provide for a 10% water change.

framerguy

For what it's worth, I used distilled water from the supermarket for nearly a year before I got an RO/DI. It worked but it was a hassle. You will not regret getting one. I'm with Woodstock on the ATO, it's not quite "set it and forget it" but it's awfully close. My salinity never moves! Just keep the resevoir full.

lcstorc

For this size tank though he can easily get buy with bottled water. I love and use my RO but the tank is only 24g so the evap and even water changes are pretty small amounts.

JT101

For this size tank though he can easily get buy with bottled water. I love and use my RO but the tank is only 24g so the evap and even water changes are pretty small amounts.

As Paul Reiser used to say, "See, this is what I'm sayin'!"

I have only needed to add about a drinking-glass sized cup of water every few days. I have been using distilled water so far. My salinity has been steady at 1.023. I am not getting any splashing on the inside of my hood so I'm not losing any salt, and I know salt doesn't evaporate, therefore so far this has worked for me. It looks like from most of the posts that an auto-topoff system coupled with an RO/DI is a great thing but I guess I'll go the simple way until I get sick of it :smirk:

Thanks
John