Topic for the week August 7 {Flow}

billyr98

Another discussion for flow...

How many people have flow in the back of their reefs? I have nothing behind but enough hitting all sides and front...

Gina

RS STAFF
billyr98 said:
Another discussion for flow...

How many people have flow in the back of their reefs? I have nothing behind but enough hitting all sides and front...

I can tell you for sure I don't!
Am in the planning of adding some.

I also kinda like these "wave surge" ideas.
Something to think about.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Good question Billy... I currently do not have decent flow behind the rocks. I have tried to compensate with large caves on the lower level. Doing this has worked okay, but on my next aquascaping, I will not 'stack' the rocks against the back glass so I can have better flow there.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
How many people have flow in the back of their reefs?

I have most of my rock away from the back wall only two pieces touch and they're off the substrate. Both my loc-line nozzles are directed at the back so I have good flow throughout the tank. I don't have alot of LR which definitely helps.

lcstorc

All my rock is in the middle of the tank so I have flow all around. My tank is viewable from 3 sides so there is room for a mag float minimum between the rock and glass except the wall with the overflow. I really think I need more flow though. I need to get out that head loss calculator I got from somebody and see what my net flow is.

Charlie97L

just so you guys know, i've been running the MJ mods on 1200s for a while now, and while they are great, and open up the ph's amazingly well, they can't be used on a wave timer.

this has to do with the mj changing directions every time it turns on, which won't affect anything in it's normal configuration, but since the upgraded impellar is directional, it would be turning the wrong way. it uses a bump stop to kick back, and often gets stuck, in my experience. i don't know if this affects the life of the pumps.

Witfull

i have heard good results with just cutting the outlet flush with the housing, wide spread and opposite flow with kick-ins.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Billyr98,great call man,perfect timing for me to,thanks to all for the info and the mj mods(idle hands are the devils tools lol)