Tooting My Own Horn!

ZAPCOnj

I was laying in bed... I can't sleep... This tank is on my mind... and the question popped in my head...

Why the hell am I running a sump? What is the point? There is no bio-balls.. or wont be soon in there.. Right now all its doing is holding a bag of carbon?

Why dont I take out my sump and move my new refuge in the spot ... over there... and save myself a hell of a lot of work?
I already have an overflow box.. a return pump... and looking at ur refuge above Zap.. All I need is dividers. I can section that 10 gal tank up just like you're refuge is and use it... can't I?

Thoughts?

Also a lady said she might be able to get a hold of some 1.5" size frags for $10 of Braireum, "Dead Mans Fingers" and 3-6 heads for $20 of some Frogspawn. Is that a good price? She offered to frag sit for me if I wanted them as well until I get my tank ready...

well, if you have the dividers all set up in the 10 gal you can swap out the sump and put whatever bioballs you have left in the 10 gal for a week or two. then take them out.

not sure on the corals. got any pics?

Mya

Let me go steal some pics of them that she sent me.. and I havent put the dividers in the 10 gal yet. I was trying to figure out how I needed to do it first. And I was laying in bed thinking how can I convert my sump ... not perm.. to look like ur refuge.. and then thought.. wtf... why dont I just make that 10 gal be the refuge and remove the sump. I can set it up just like urs if I put all the dividers in right and such..

Dead Mans Fingers

Frogspawn

She had a list of all kinds of crap she could get she says and the prices/sizes. I wish I knew more about shipping corals... Then if I found something rare you wanted I could get it and ship it. Do you want me to get the list for you? Atleast to look at?

Zap, does water get from Chamber 1 to Chamber 2 by cascading over the ballist like it does from 2 over into 3? Im trying to figure out about how tall.. how high.. how big.. Im thinking of trying to make the 10 gal just like you're refuge.. with the spill over area for the carbon and everything. Thanks.

I think ... You passed out and are drooling on the keys... My eyes are getting heavy so I am going to call it a night. I think. I might be back up if for some odd reason I can't sleep. Msg back! All of Ya'll! Goodnight!

I went window shopping at MrCorals before bed and came back to see you lurking. You were waiting for me to leave.. werent you?!?!
Okay, You win. I give up. Going to bed. Goodnight. If you need me just txt me and I will see it as I roam towards the bed or in the morning when I wake. Nite.

Last edited:

Jeremy0322

I would take the corals if I were you, i think those are pretty cheap frags considering you wont have to pay shipping.

ZAPCOnj

Yes it does. I can measure it all out for you...

Here is a better "clearer" pic from the ADHI website.
Ref45forweb.jpg

you can see how the water flows from the left chamber in to the center then "spills" in to the bubble trap then in to chamber 3.

i put my carbon bags under the bubble trap so the water is "forced/sucked" though the bags (you can see the bags under the sponge in the pic from MY sump.)

if you want to go window shopping try this place: AQUA-SD       they have some nice stuff too.

Mya

Good Morning!

Nothing like waking up to Tornado weather .... YEEHAW!

Ya, please measure it all out for me. I plan on making it pretty much to scale in this 10 gal. Plexi glass is okay to use as a divider and all I have to do is silicon it in there right? I plan on getting some kinda lil crate piece and making that same area too for carbon and such.

Lastly, is it okay to submerge the remaining bio-balls I have left or do I still need the trickle action over them? I dont want to make a mistake with that you know.

Thanks for the pic Zap, I was kinda curious how I was going to do the water into the refuge tank part. I don't want it to be crazy loud or anything like that you know. Now I know I can put those tubes down in the water to help silence the intake some.

Anyone know where I can get that white egg crate stuff that is used in everything?

Last edited:

Mya

So, here it is. My plan for the refuge 10 gal. I doodle it all up and measured everything. I put the paper in behind it so the camera would get a good pic of my outline... but also so I could trace it and get a ballpark image for the other side. I got to figure out how big the tube is that is coming off my sump and a way to hard wire it in. I want to be able to remove the tube from my sump and attach it to the new refuge. Im thinking about a fitting that slides into the tube and then some kind of top to hold the down pipes. Get what Im saying? Or confused. Input would be great. Gonna load the dishwasher and then take off ... with my tank... to HD for some help with my DYI refuge in the works.

The only real snag I have run into is I dont know if the divider walls are all the exact same height or not. I can't really tell from the images...
Also anyone know what size tube comes in from an overflow? I can't unhook mine and measure it or anything so I need a ballpark idea? Or if anyone knows the average size...
Also where to find those egg crate or white crating pieces...
Anyone know?

Okay, off to HD. Hope I find what I need. I will be back shortly. Thanks.

I have returned and now... I got most everything I need. Yup. Can you believe that? I do! I still dont know about the height of the dividers and I still dont know what size tube comes from the over flow but I will work on that later... Right now.. gotta unload what I bought...

Last edited:

Mya

Thanks Blake. I asked an associate at HD and they said, "We dont have anything like that" I guess I have to ask for it by name... I did find something tho to use in it's place tho.

I got a plastic paint can grid that I plan on cutting to fit. Its to wide.. and really not long enough but I think I can make it work for what I want. If I can't I can alway get the crate piece now that I know what its called.

Lesson learned so far... HD lies. Scoring and snapping plexi glass is not easy...
Another lesson learned. Needle nose pliars work good for getting those sharp lil pieces that like to stick behind that dont belong.

Poor Zap, guy can't do nothing without me bothering him. I txted him and asked him about the heights. He said the 2nd one should be a 1/4in lower then the 2 outside ones. That helps a lot. Now ... I worry about how tall I should make the dividers and also, if the water goes out.. how much it will fill up and such. I dont want the thing to ever overflow during a power outage.

Another lesson learned... using the 10 gal to help make a snap point for the plexi works well... and saves a nail!

Okay, all the dividers are cut... and everything is now ready for me to seal up with the silicon. The damn plexi glass scratched/cut me. Hurts like HELL! Burning like fire. None the less.. Gonna get ready to glue all my pieces together here in a few.

Going to HD.. To get that egg crate. I decided I wanted the usual stuff so ppl that looked at my stuff wouldnt think.. what the hell is THAT?!?! Haha. I wont be long... then back to silicon stuff in.

Last edited:

ReefGuy69

a quick test you may want to try is take a bucket and drain your tank into the bucket. cut the power and see how much drains into the bucket. is it 1/2 a gal or 2 or 3. this will give you an idea on how much room to leave for water to fill up for power outages. looks like its coming along nicely though.

Mya

Well I think because my tank isnt drilled I have a bit more control over how much water goes into it. I have 2 of the 3 sections in now... and a small fan blowing on it. Tomorrow night I am going to add the next part in...

Then let it sit till Sunday night... Then.. remove the sump and put it into action..

Oh Jeremy! I think you're gonna have to send me some Chaeto if its available.. on MONDAY! Woot Woot!

If anyone wants me.. Y! me or Txt me.. Gonna be afk for a bit.. and prolly get in the tub in a bit here...

Mya

Yuppers it is. Made sure it was MARINE safe even. Not just aquarium safe... but says for saltwater as well..

All ready for bed. I took sleeping pills to help me sleep tonight so I will be passing out early.

Enjoy ur night you guys and hopefully my stuff dries fast! Tomorrow part 2 of the build. Woot Woot.

Nite.

BLAKEJOHN

The only problem I would have with using such a small sump is this: With a standard 55gl tank 1" of water is equal to 2.7 gls of water. In the sump design you have, your return looks to be only 8". With only a cube of 8" X 8" X 10" you have a total water volume of 3.4 gl in the return section. This leaves you with .7gls in your return section to allow for a power outage in which will most likley drain the top 1" of water (2.7gl). In this case you will most likley evaporate that amount in less than a day leaving your return section dry.
I dont want to rain on your parade, But I feel a 10gl sump/fuge is going to be too small.
Before you hook this sump up for good, have ten gls of aged salt water ready, turn off all pumps, install overflow box(if not already being used), get a siphon runing through the overflow (this will remove the water that a power outage will), set sump in place, install return pump and drain, fill sump 1" from rim. Turn everything back on and this will show you the maximum water level you can keep in the return section.

Mya

You're not raining on my parade. Overflowing the refuge is really important to me and something I don't want.

I am going to have to test it to make sure it wont be overflowing on to the floor. The water in the sump is suppose to be 8 inches high and no higher when running. If 1 inch equals 2.7 gals of water that would mean my refuge dividers are to tall and it will overflow. I guess if I need too I can take a dremel and cut down my dividers? They will just look like goal posts. Or I can peel all the silicon up, cut them back, and re-silicon them in.

Bummer. But math never was my thing... Thanks for the info and observation.

BLAKEJOHN

The way you have it will work. The thing that concerns me would be the amount of water that is in you return section when the system is running.

Jeremy0322

Mya, just wanted to let you know im leaving for the post office in about 5 minutes, so your chaeto will be in the mail!

Mya

Jeremy ! Thank you so much!

Blake, The overflow is rated for like 600 ish.. and the return about 550-600 at that height. You dont think it will flow right?

Mya

I am sure I am going to have to add SW to fill up the tank and such... You know, add a couple extra gallons to the tank to take up the space that is now going to be the refuge.

Im excited! I got it all silicon'ed in now... Just waiting for it all to dry. And Sunday night I should be able to take the tank offline and move what balls that are left to the new refuge and then crank up the refuge!

Well Im freezing and off to crawl in my nice warm bed. Feel free to txt or msg me on msger.
Laters.

Last edited: