Tooting My Own Horn!

Mya

It has already forgiven me for a day! I was going to do it yesterday!

And I have a tank of nitrate hell. Remember?
This refuge is killing me. It's so close to being done I can almost smell it! Okay, well I dont really want to smell it.. but you know what I mean....

Hope this guy emails me back about the overflow. If not.. going to GA tomorrow to see if I can find a stupid U tube...

Jeremy0322

Good luck with the emails, you should email him as a friendly reminder to get his butt in gear and get you your stuff!! haha

Mya

Im telling you. Its killing me. You know what the other ball kicker is. In this journey to find something so simple as an overflow it has come to my attention that if something was to ever happen to mine.. I would be screwed.

Home depot doesnt have any U-tubes. The LFS doesn't have or sell overflow boxes. Srsly. Some of the simple stuff we take for granted on our tanks can be a real pain to fix, replace, or get a new if need be.

Also, I know its a rainy day and all.. but damn its 75 degrees in here!
I say that with a smile thinking about Zap who's in Jersey and prolly freezing his arse off.

Jeremy0322

Its like 20 degrees here, its super crappy. I wish I could offer a suggestion to fix your overflow sadness, but i really dont have many ideas about that one. I would still suggest drilling the tank, i have seen people do it with livestock in the tank. Check out youtube, they have a few really good videos on it there. And there is one of a guy trying to drill a tempered tank and it ends up exploding on him, which i found to be slightly amusing in an evil way.

Mya

Haha. I would laugh too.. You know sometimes when things just go bad or are jacked up... you can't help but laugh. You know, like that little old lady that just face plants the concrete. You dont want to laugh.. but just can't help urself.

I can't drill the tank because the water would just drain to the floor. There is no room under the tank for a drain. SPACE SPACE SPACE. I have said it before and I'll say it again...

I have outgrown my own tank.

Eating was a good thing and Im starting to feel much better. I guess its time then to do that water change huh?
I will be back and forth.

Someone just offered me a 75g tank and stand for $250. That a good deal? Anyone? Btw, it's still under warranty with petsmart and he has all the receipts and such for it if need be.

Oh and thankies michelle9491! You're GREAT!

ZAPCOnj

lol.. it's 65 and humid today. Overcast and such. not too cold. on monday it was 20 deg out.. BURRRrrr..

what kind of overflow are you looking for mya? what is your budget?

what kind of tank and stand? pics? is the stand open or is there a divider wall?

Mya

I didnt ask him. I went to petsmart to look up the tank myself. And I think its the damn tank with the shelf in the middle. Thats even worse then a divider. That one is not looking like "the one" either. Hmm

Overflow. Im cheap. Cheaper the better of course.

And even 65 is cold. Anything below 70 is frickin cold!

trippkid

Mya, if you can't find an overflow, something like this could work for you, and you can build it yourself out of PVC. I don't know if it is OK or not to post links to another forum, if you want it I guess I could PM or email it to you, not sure of the rules here about that. Here is a pic, the link is a how-to thread. Let me know if you want the link.
Matt

overflow.gif

Mya

Can I ask a dumb question? I get the whole concept and pic right up to the C tube. Why is that tube there? Like that?

ZAPCOnj

I think that is a Vent. if it is a vent there should be a cap on top with a hole drilled in to it to help let the air escape thus reducing turbulent water/air in the sump. I could be wrong

trippkid

It is the breather tube, to allow for trapped air to escape, if not there, there is a possibilty of hydraulic lock or at the very least slowing the flow of the overflow, because of trapped air, also this is how you would start the flow, by just sucking on the "C" tube will get the flow up and over the rim of the aquarium, then should work just like a normal overflow for a drilled tank. That "C" pipe has to be slightly higher than the water level inside the tank.
Matt

Mya

How do you start one of these? The one I have has a U-tube and you suck the air out of the U-tube and it starts the suction water thingy.

Btw, michelle9491 linked me to some nicely priced overflow boxes for sale online. Har Har! And that dude wrote me back saying the one he had is spoken for. Hmmm.

trippkid

Does anyone know if it is OK to post links to RC. It explains it all. I will just add I have never used one of these types, so reading the thread, may point out some tips or possible problems with this type of setup. The only thing I am having trouble seeing is durring a power outage, it how it starts back up. I guess I'll re-read the thread(I haven't in a long time), to see what is going on there.
Matt

Mya

tripp, I dont know if anyone is around that can answer that question atm. It's okay. Michelle sent me a link for some cheapy ones she found on the net.

The plans you put up are good but I got 2 issues. 1 Im going from a tiny 10 gal back to the sump on the other side of a wall that is higher then the tank so I dont have a lot of room for pipes... and 2 the starter thing.. Im not a huge fan on sucking down fish water from my tank... Im sure there are plenty out there that agree with me.. So I need to see what Im doing when it comes to starting that thing..

ZAPCOnj

check out this over flow mya: NEW!! CPR CS102DX Overflow with AquaLifter Pump - eBay (item 280249607667 end time Dec-21-08 09:32:52 PST)

here is a review i did on the same one (i have them on my tanks):http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ics-hang-back-overflow-review-12-03-08-a.html

The one in the Auction comes with the TOM aqualifter pump that will keep the siphon on the over flow working (continuous siphon) and in the event of a power outtage, it will restart the over flow as soon as the power comes back on.

pretty much plug and play.

trippkid

That is fine Mya, I just thought I would share. You don't or shouldn't actually have to get any water in your mouth, it is just to get it up and over the tank rim, the water will go to the sump before it even gets close to your lips. Some people have even hooked up some kind of auto-suction to get it going(so you don't have to manually do it).

The CPR overflows are nice(I have an old one I don't use anymore, it is two big for your use though, and it the old style with out the nipple to hook up the Aqualifter pump(I am pretty sure the newer style ones have this), the pump is used to draw out any air that may accumulate in the "U" tube area(these are acrylic one piece units, the "U" tube is built within the unit). Good luck, let me know if you ever want the DIY links. I have been searching around for the best thread on this, also my oldest son is sick with stomach virus, so I am back and forth with him at the moment.
Matt

ZAPCOnj

in that DIY design you could put a Cap on the C pipe and drill a hole and put in a nipple and attach that to an aqualifter pump. it will suck out any accumiliated air and as long as there is water flowing it will restart the siphon....(in theroy)

If you're going to use the Over flow under the tank then you will want to use the CPR 50 over flow. it's smaller and rated for 300gph +/-

Mya

Im to happy for words atm.

HAHA!

I just bought tickets for myself and my parents to go see Jeff Dunham here .... live... Im so tickled. That's there xmas present. They just don't know it yet!

Im thinking of going to HD. Hmm.

trippkid

I am not trying to be rude or anything like that, but you may want to slow down just a little and think through everything, research(I can help with this part), before spending cash for something you may or may not want. Are you getting a new tank(I thought I read that)? If so, and it is not a drilled one, I would probably just have it drilled for a bulkhead in the top back pane of glass where you want the water level to be at(Any glass shop should be able to do it, or you can do that yourself too, plenty of threads on drilling your own holes, I would say to practice on scrap first if you ever decide to try yourself). With it being drilled this way you don't have to worry about siphon loss, or anything(the biggest problem is the noise, and that can be reduced too). Again, I think you need to come up with a plan and stick to it, it can be easy to overlook things when your all over the place(I am the same way, ADD is my problem, I have a hard time concentrating on things, my mind is always in a hundred different places at once, it is hard to stay on track just with posting sometimes for me). Good luck, let me know if I can help in any way.
Matt