Too much flow??

neebs

Need a little help here. For years my SPS has been doing great, but my LPS has not. I've had lots of chalices whittle away. My touches and hammers don't really extend, and I have a few brains in a friend's tank recovering....

I spoke to someone and they blamed it on the flow of my tank. Have other people had similar problems in their RSM 250?

As you can see from the pic below I have an MP40, I find that it helps with my SPS. I almost always keep it on blue at the lowest setting.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_2120.jpg

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Nice tank!! Try moving the hammer and torch to the bottom and see how they do there. I have mine on the bottom with 2 MP-10s on full power and they do just fine.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
You sure have a BEAUTIFUL TANK!!! You are doing something right, I agree with Greg (goma) ^^ from his post to move the LPS that is have trouble to an indirect flow area lower in your tank.
SPS apparently loves your tank :snshne: so I'd think you wouldn't want to mess that up by changing anything.
I have 2-MP10s on my tank & all my LPS seem fine with them.
Do you have a reef chronicle thread? I'd love to see your SPS beginning pictures. What is the top massive SPS coral? How long have you had it? I think I need that kind for my top rock :thumbup:

Lexinverts

I love those clams and that tabling Acropora! Beautiful tank.

+1 on Greg and Diana's suggestions about moving the hammers to the sand bed, to reduce both light intensity and flow.

And if you try chalices again, keep those low too, and you might even try shading them with another coral. They don't do well in high light and high flow.

neebs

Thanks!

you can see the mili a couple of years ago in basically the same location

looking back my lps seemed to be doing much better....

IMG_1531.jpg

also not sure what you mean by what is on top of the coral... I don't think there is anything.

ziggy

Thanks!

you can see the mili a couple of years ago in basically the same location

looking back my lps seemed to be doing much better....

IMG_1531.jpg

also not sure what you mean by what is on top of the coral... I don't think there is anything.

Diana's asking on the top rock, what is the massive SPS coral type?