Too much flow?

Rhyne

I saw that Hydor has a new pump...the Koralia 1. Does 400 gph according to them...too much flow for a 20 long?

Rhyne

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I saw that Hydor has a new pump...the Koralia 1. Does 400 gph according to them...too much flow for a 20 long?

Rhyne

For a barebottomed SPS dominated tank, no, probably not too much flow.

A sandy bottom or LPS tank, yes, it would blow sand and probably tear the coral's flesh.

Rhyne

Thanks much...the tank is for 'shrooms, zoa's and inverts..maybe a fish or two somewhere in the mix.

InLimbo87

Definitely not too much flow for any tank imo. I've got one seio m620 (600 something gph), and a mag 5 return (300 something per hour). And I have absolutely no problems with flesh being blown off or sandstorms. I would, however, recommend that you go with 2 300 gph pumps for your tank. This would put you at exactly 30x turnover for your tank (which is a good number to shoot for), and would ensure less "dead spots".

InLimbo87

I think that the turnover rate is a much better measure than watts per gallon, etc. Even though the flow can be accomplished in many different ways (which should be taken into account), it is still overall flow and oxygenation. Watts per gallon is more ambiguous because it doesn't take into account light intensity, tank depth, spectrum, etc....

mps9506

Flow in a tank can def. be difficult to address and your flow needs will change as your corals grow. While overall flow is important having the enough flow in the right areas is just as important if not more. Turnover rate gives you a good baseline to work from. I generally aim anywhere from 10x-30x turnover per hour I've had tanks with as much as 50x turnover per hour.
FWIW the new hydor pumps have a fairly broad flow pattern so even 400 gph in that pattern doesn't "feel" like its moving a ton of water when you put your hand several inches in front of it.

DaddyJax

I think yopu will be fine with it. 400 gph is minor and i will serve you well imo. Your corals should not be in direct path but rather I would bounce it off of the glass or something to even further spread the flow out.

Rhyne

Thanx for all the input...it is really appreciated. I've got a rio 50 with the hydor deflector already, so maybe I'll use the Koralia to bounce the surface light around for the cool wavy look on the bottom.

R:scram: