too much carbon?

20nano

So I was thinking since i have many empty salt buckets, what if i was to buy about 3-4 gallons worth of carbon gravel and pads and throw it in the 5 gallon with a decent powerhead through it? Would that be too much carbon or is that enough for me to last half a year without changing it?

steved13

PREMIUM
My guess is, (and it's a guess) once it slimes over, after a few weeks, it won't pull anything out any longer. You're much better off with smaller amounts changed frequently. You also, want very low flow through carbon, it pulverizes pretty easily and the fine particles can cause issues.

If you don't want to get a reactor for it, it does a pretty good job in a bag, in a high flow area of the sump.

Last edited:

lcstorc

A smaller amount changed frequently is definitely the way to go. If left alone it will gather bacteria and contribute to a nitrate problem. Many people only run carbon one week a month and/or move the carbon around in the container to prevent this. You definitely want to change out your carbon frequently and be sure it is in an area with decent flow.

20nano

i put a filter pad in one of the bubble baffle compartment and 1 along the side where the water overflows down the pipe. Are those good positions? I have a fluval 404 running as well except right now i CANNOT get crystal clear water, there still seems to be things tat looks like dust particles or something that makes the water only 90% clear. On my previous 20, i kept the tank crystal clear regardless of what I did to it. Stir up the sand, clean stuff, brushed off rocks, clouded for less than an hour and cleared up all the way. Any advice??