Too Much Blue?????? Advice Please

Iriejedi

Hi There!

I just upgraded my extensive lighting to add more blue to my tank

180 Gallon WELL stocked Reef

http://homepage.mac.com/iriejedi/PhotoAlbum11.html

I have 5 X 65 Watt 450/420nm Blue Power compacts bulbs
and
(new) 3 X 150 Watt HQI dbl end 14000k bulbs (originally 3 X 10,000k bulbs)

a TON of blue - to my eye it is AWESOME - but I was wondering can you have 'too much' blue?

Any advice/opinions are VERY welcomed!

Cheers

Iriejed

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Never too much blue.. however, with more blue comes less PAR (intensity) and thus you MAY see a decrease in growth rates. Let us know how it goes~

You photos don't look too blue at all. Are they new photos with the new lighting?

Witfull

im running 2x96wt actinic PCs and 3X250 XM15k's looks blue in pic but to the eyes,,,awesome.

Cougra

IMO it matters what anyone else thinks as long as the look is pleasing to your eyes. You are the one who watches the tank everyday not us. If you like the look then it's great, if you can't stand the look then it's bad no matter how many people say otherwise.

Iriejedi

THanks for the opinions - I guess my concern was less what 'I' thought as to what years of massive coral gorwth 'thinks'. My tank is 6X2X2 feet of solid coral after years of massive propogation of various mushrooms and polyp species. While I have always wanted more blue - I'm concerned about their health.

Not new photos. New ones coming.

ReefLady

Staff member
Polyps and shrooms shouldn't have a PAR issue with that much blue, but you'll probably see slower growth. Which, with those species, can be a good thing. :)

DaveK

I don't think you can have too much blue in the sence of too much light or the wrong color light. Maybe you want to simulate deaper water, where everything is blue, because that's the only light color that will go that deep.

My own preference would be for less blue, but I can't really say it's going to make the tank look or do better. Since you like all the blue, go with it!