Tom's BC-29 Nano

Aquanut

I have a question if I may. What purpose does the egg crate/white square thing serve I know you mentioned it was for the mantis but I am new to SW so I will be asking lots of questions.

tnwillia

That's it, Mantis will strike the glass, I doubt they can break/crack it from the ones I've had but I figured why take the chance. The Egg Crate puts that barrier between them and the glass as they dig. On the other hand some use the Egg Crate to get their live rock up off the tank bottom both for support and protecting the glass incase of a rock slide. Lots of uses and easy to work with! Thanks for stopping by!

Welcome to RS!

Aquanut

That's it, Mantis will strike the glass, I doubt they can break/crack it from the ones I've had but I figured why take the chance. The Egg Crate puts that barrier between them and the glass as they dig. On the other hand some use the Egg Crate to get their live rock up off the tank bottom both for support and protecting the glass incase of a rock slide. Lots of uses and easy to work with! Thanks for stopping by!

Welcome to RS!

Makes sense I figured that much for the rock but the Mantis wow? Know to crack the glass...Yikes. Thanks for the info & reply.

Aquanut

No problem, have fun with your tank!

I will there is just so much to learn & read on. Like which live rock is best and where to buy it. Which live sand is better and where to get it. Skimmer or no skimmer for a 14 gallon biocube and which is best. Gotta a lot 2 grasp it seems so overwhelming....lol guess that's why I stuck to freshwater all these years; but the SW are so much nicer.

tnwillia

On the rock, my choices are 90% dry rock and one super Live rock from your lfs to seed the dry rock. It takes a bit longer for the other rock to come back to life but it also forces you to slow down. On sand, IMHO, stay away from the very fine sugar sand it blows around your tank all the time. I ran a skimmer (Tunze 9002) on my BC29 but 20% weekly water changes will work just as well. I guess the big thing to remember is things go bad a LOT faster in the smaller tanks and it's very hard to recover. IMHO the smaller the tank the more time you have to dedicate to it. You'll get lots of help on RS, just ask, other will jump in. Good luck!