• Feed Zooplankton target or general

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Do nothing and they seem to be fine

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Who cares? They're weeds anyways

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters

Yaten13

So I'm starting out with some softies (xenia, mushrooms, trees, etc) and a lot of care instructions for these say that the biggest source of nutrition for these guys is simply DOCs, and that it can actually be beneficial to turn off skimmers. Here's my water quality parameters with and (without) my skimmer.

pH 8.2 (8.2)
kH 2.5 (2.5) meq
Ammonia 0 (0)
NO2 0 (0)
NO3 0 (2.5)
Mg 1320 (1320)
Ca 500 (500)
PO4 0 (?) - didnt have the kit before skimmer, so no readings

As you can see, without skimming, the only difference was 2.5 vs 0 nitrates. I never really had nitrate problems because of competition by macroalgae, microalgae, etc. Now that I have soft corals competing too, has anyone tried not skimming specifically to boost soft coral growth? Might also give my turbo's something to munch on. Those guys really do love to munch on the algae I do have on the LR. Plus I don't have any problems with aeration. I got pretty much the same benefit with an airstone in my sump before the skimmer.

if you dont have any fish then i quess it would probably be ok, 2.5 is a bit higher then i would want, but if it works for you then thats great. I run a skimmer on my 125g reef and the corals still do very well