To much water in system?

saltfan

This is my first sump system and cant seem to figure out the water levels in the tank and sump. Dont know how to tell if I have to much or to little water in the system. Can any one tell me how to figure this out? Im getting frustrated. Its a CPR 192 with hang on over flow. I know when ya raise the over flow the sump level drops and the tank level raises but cant seem to get it. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

steved13

PREMIUM
What size is the tank and what size is the sump...gallons? Also how much water will drain from the tank in the event of a power failure? If you don't know how many gallons will drain, feel free to post tank dimensions, L x W and how far it drains IE: tanks is 60" L x 18" W and the tank level drops by 1.25" when the pump is off.

With this info, I can give advice to make you much more flood resistant...IMO that is the number 1 goal and then making everything else work after that.

tommyboynj

Steve is right. Focus on not watering the carpet when you power down. With the power off, what you could do is fill your sump to the desired max level. Then fill your tank to the point just below the overflow. Once you power on, your water lines will fill up bringing you sump level down, also your skimmer is going to draw some water. Make sure you have valves between you return pump and tank AND from your overflow to the sump. This way you can really fine tune the flow to meet you overflows capacity.

steved13

PREMIUM
Steve is right. Focus on not watering the carpet when you power down. With the power off, what you could do is fill your sump to the desired max level. Then fill your tank to the point just below the overflow. Once you power on, your water lines will fill up bringing you sump level down, also your skimmer is going to draw some water. Make sure you have valves between you return pump and tank AND from your overflow to the sump. This way you can really fine tune the flow to meet you overflows capacity.

That's pretty much where I was going, only you also need to think about what happens if the drain clogs or with an overflow if you loose a syphon...in other words leave enough room in the tank to handle the sump being pumped into the tank. You don't need the room for the entire sump just how much water before the pump starves.

Usually a problem arises from trying to keep too much water in the sump, and it overflows from the tank water, or the tank overflows from the sump emptying into the tank.

steved13

PREMIUM
its a 55 gal. 48w x 12"w x 18"h water drops about 1" with pumps off and comes right to the top of sump I would guess theres to much water in the system. This is the system I have CY192 Cyclone Bio-Filter by CPR Aquatics* - AquaCave.com with the rio 2100

48" x 12" x 1" is about 2.5 gallons, so not much draining back, which is a good thing. The sump holds about 7 gallons from the specs. I'm not sure how much of that would be pumped into the tank if you lost siphon or the drain became clogged, or how high you need the levels for the skimmer. I'm assuming the skimmer is water level dependent? When all is running, If you have about 1" of room left in the tank, before water goes on the floor, and you run the sump about half way...you should be pretty flood resistant.

I always run the pump and stop the drain, to make sure the tank doesn't overflow. And, as you've already done, unplug the return and make sure the sump doesn't overflow. Although a power failure is almost guaranteed and the drain less so, finding your pump burnt out, 5 gallons of water on the floor, and who knows what else ruined, is no fun.

If the skimmer is water level dependent, you may find you like the way it works with the sump level slightly higher or lower, I found with my skimmer, the water level adjustment was easier to fine tune, than the skimmer adjustment once I got it close.

saltfan

thanks took out about a 1/2 gal. and things seem better and yes the skimmer is water level dependant. Tank is new and skimmer is pumping a white dry foam with minimal micro bubbles.