to much flow in sump

fragout

i have a mag drive supreme 1800 gph pump with 3/4 inch O.D. flex pvc to tank- in my 90 gallon reef. i have a problem with my flow entering too fast in to my sump. The drain pipe is 1 inch O.D. that is submersed in my sump. Some have told me to install a Ball valve on my drain pipe to reduce flow, but won't this restrict my pump, which may cause it to malfunction? what are my options.

FRAGOUT.....

BoomerD

How is the tank set up? Is it reef ready with overflows and drains built into the tank? Do you have a Hang-on overflow? In either case, they should only drain as much water as the pump returns, to their design maximum. 1800 gph is a LOT for any kind of overflow.
Give us more information, so we can get this fixed for ya...

PhilOlsen

Has been struck by the ban stick
by restricting the water going into the sump, it will not affect your pump, by restricting the water going into the pump itself it will cause damage. If you put a ball valve on the line going into the sump itself it will solve your issue, without restricting the pump, but slowing the flow into the sump.

fragout

I have a overflow system drilled, the basic stuff. here is a pic that might help.

tank_sketch_2.JPG

Cougra

NEVER restrict the flow going INTO the sump, restrict the flow coming OUT of the sump. Place the ball valve AFTER the pump return!

If you place the restriction on the DRAIN then your pump will still be pumping the same amount of water into the tank, causing:
1. The tank will overflow should there be enough water in the sump.
2. Once all the reserve water in sump has been pumped into the tank/onto the floor the water going into the pump be seriously restricted and it'll start pumping air and making a lot of noise. This can also cause serious damage to the pump!
3. Once the pump is damaged you'll have a problem with NO flow going into the tank, and will be wishing for too much.

Where as if you place the ball joint after the pump you will be able to control the flow going into the tank so the drain will be able to keep up with the water entering the tank like it's suppose to. The pump wont be restricted but the water flow will be. The baffle in the main tank will keep the water levels in the display tank at the desired level as well.

Another probably better option is to get a smaller pump.

BoomerD

If that indicates a single 1" bulkhead, a Mag 18 is WAY too much flow for the tank. 1" bulkhead should have a theoretical max of 1000 gph, and most will only flow about 800 gph due to various plumbing restrictions. A mag 7 or 9.5 would be better suited for your application. IF you have to throttle back the pump, (say the 9.5) then this pic from Melev's site shows the best way to do it:

mag_pump_control.jpg

More wonderful sump info can be found here:
http://www.melevsreef.com/what_sump.html

fragout

well I'm glad I posted this thread, because I was going to install a ball vavle on the drain pipe to my sump. But that plan is out the window.
What would I have to do to keep my mag 1800, I don't really want to buy another pump. Bommer when you say throttle back the pump, do you mean to split my return line in two, one for flow to tank and the other to sump where water drains? I was trying to look for plans to throttle back the pump but didn't find any. Sorry, for my lack of plumbing knowledge.

ReefGuy69

Yeah i think thats exactly what boomer means. If not then it will work anyways. You can put a ball valve on that line and you will be able to adjust the flow of water to your tank as well as back into the sump creating just the right flow that your system needs.

Charlie97L

i'm using a mag 12 on a scwd with a 1" drain and i have a ball valve right after the pump... we'll see how it works... that melev design looks cool! may have to try that out.