to drill or not to drill.......

redneckgearhead

Hey guys, Im starting to set up my wifes 55 gallon hex tank. This will be a FOWLR tank. I need opinions on wether or not I should drill this tank and put a sump under it, if so what size bulk heads would you recommend. Space is very limited under the tank so If i do run a sump it will be a small one. AND I need opinions on HOB filters (brand and size). Thanks Scott

Reddog170

Most 55's are tempered on all sides, therefore you should not drill. I would use an e-shopps overflow to feed a sump. Now if you just want to use HOB stuff Then a CPR or Aqua C remora would be good bets. Foster and Smith also sells a HOB refugium that works well also. Shaun

61scout80

if it isn't tempered, DRILL BABY, DRILL!

My 90 wasn't drilled and I used an overflow, while they are very reliable and mine never gave me trouble I still was a bit nervous about a flood.

jpsika08

+1 with advice above, you should be fine with 1" bulkheads (read carefully the needed hole size for the bulkhead you wish to buy).

Whichever decision you decide to go with, post pics of the tank :D good luck

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Most 55's are tempered on all sides, therefore you should not drill. I would use an e-shopps overflow to feed a sump. Now if you just want to use HOB stuff Then a CPR or Aqua C remora would be good bets. Foster and Smith also sells a HOB refugium that works well also. Shaun

I disagree "Respectfully" I have drilled a few 55s the only panel that is tempered is the bottom, you can check for this using a white laptop screen and a polarized lens, put the laptop on one side and look through the lens on the other if you see wavy lines it's tempered if not grab the drill and have at :D

61scout80

+1 with advice above, you should be fine with 1" bulkheads (read carefully the needed hole size for the bulkhead you wish to buy).

Whichever decision you decide to go with, post pics of the tank :D good luck

yes. From this point forward I will drill every tank, even if my current intention isn't to add a sump. I could always plug the hole. Then if I do want a sump i don't need to tear down the entire tank.

redneckgearhead

Well Thanks for everyones advice. It was not tempered, but I decided not to drill. Its the wifes tank and its going in the dining room and there is little room for a sump and she balked at the idea of the sump being becide the tank so that kinda answered it for me.

infamous6969

I brought my 36 gallon to a local glass shop and had them drill it with the kit provided by glassholes.com .. They checked if it was tempered then drilled and it ran me $30 per hole.