To clean or not to clean - Remora C

lgerold

Hi!

Sasquatch's post reminds me of something I have been pondering for a few days.

I've got two skimmers on my tank, a HOB skimmer (can't remember the name, but it's undersized) and a Remora C Pro. Of course, I started out with the HOB, but found it didn't skim enough for my system, and then purchased the Remora. Duh! Good money after bad!

Anyway, both skimmers have been working well, collecting a full cup of skimmate every two days, very dark, cruddy, and smelly.

About a week ago, my Remora has really cut production. Since the other skimmer is working as usual, I doubt that it's due to a lack of skimmable stuff in the tank.

I am considering cleaning it, but I don't quite know how to go about it, or even IF I SHOULD at this time, considering that I'll be upgrading this 125 to a 210 on Jan 7.

Whadya think?

burning2nd

well the pro wont do ya good for a 200 gal

so you might as well just get a bigger skimmer

what are you doing with your tank when you upgrade?

move everything over to that tank?

while i dont have the pro, i have the regular aqua c remora i noticed the same thing

pritty much 6 months on the dot, the skimmer had to be removed takeing out side and hosed down

carefull tho, some times my snails go exporing,

what i noticed is that (with the cup set high) you can get a week and half or so of skimming time (given that your tank is clean) like you said, then the production drops off..... some times that turns out to be a "no produce" situation, or a "over produce" situation (clearish)

only happen once so far......

what im trying to say is i think you should clean it....

PhilOlsen

Has been struck by the ban stick
All skimmers require maint. from time to time, although you wont be able to transfer it to the 210, I would also recommend cleaning it and reinstalling until the new tank is fully set up and cycled. BTW what are you planning on doing with it once you do move to the 210? If you are going to sell let me know I have a use for it on a 38 I have laying around..although my wife will kill me if I set up another tank.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Even with the planned upgrade soon, I would clean the skimmer.

The remora probably needs a quick cleaning where the injector is. There is probably some algae or gunk in it. Turn off the skimmer, unscrew the plastic screw, clean inside it with the bottle brush, REPLACE THE PLASTIC SCREW, and turn one the skimmer.

Also, soaking/running all pumps/powerheads in a vinegar bucket overnight should be done occassionally (6 mo or so).

lgerold

I am getting the idea that I need a new skimmer for the 210? Shoot! I figured the two of them would do it for me.:chomp:

I think I'll go try to clean it the best I can right now.

Let me know if I really need to get another skimmer, and some suggestions, so I can try to get it here if needed, before the 7th.

Thanks!

Lucy

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
As much as I love remora skimmers, I think you should upgrade. I actually have an ASM G3 in my garage now waiting for my upgrade.

DaBird

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Woodstock said:

Even with the planned upgrade soon, I would clean the skimmer.

The remora probably needs a quick cleaning where the injector is. There is probably some algae or gunk in it. Turn off the skimmer, unscrew the plastic screw, clean inside it with the bottle brush, REPLACE THE PLASTIC SCREW, and turn one the skimmer.

Also, soaking/running all pumps/powerheads in a vinegar bucket overnight should be done occassionally (6 mo or so).

What he said..._____

lcstorc

Clean the skimmer for now but I would definitely upgrade for the new system. Personally I like the ASM as well and just upgraded to the g4x.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Hey if you clean it now it wont stink too bad when it goes in the "investment closet" lol Steve

lgerold

Thanks everyone. I did as suggested, removing the screw and cleaning it up. Of course, when I got it all ready to go again, and plugged in the pump, the pump wouldn't pump. That pump is the most awkward thing to service! RRR.

I took the pump apart, and cleaned the gunk off the impeller and shaft, and it pumps again. I've been running vinegar water through the pumps every three months, but I've never taken them apart like this. Wow! I couldn't believe the crud!

I'm gonna look into the skimmers y'all mentioned.

I'm thinking perhaps I'd set up the old ones in the sump while a new one gets up and going.

Anyone want a 125 tank, skimmer, and metal stand?:dance:

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
If you got salt water, you got a closet lol. if I could sell all my mistakes for .10c each I could have a real nice system.Steve