Titanium probe question

SunnyX

Ok so i added one of those probes that supposed to kill any stray voltage, but now I get a mild shock when I put my hand into the tank. Whats up with that?

BoomerD

A while back, you were having a similar problem with the Tunze stream. Did you ever do the fixes on your electrical system? The probe SHOULD kill any stray voltage, but if you have something in the tank that is not grounded right, the probe MIGHT be acting as the ground and completing the circuit. iT'S BEEN WA-AAAY too many years since I studied electrical circuits and theory to give to much sound advice on this, but if you were having a problem then, and now are having the same problem...

BoomerD

Do you have 3 prong grounded outlets in your house? I know a lot of older homes, built before the 70's still might not have them. If you do, maybe installing a GFCI would be of help, but at the same time, it might keep tripping off, and that's almost as bad...but not quite as bad as getting zapped! If you DON't have grounded outlets, you'd need to contact an electrician for help. Might be a good idea anyway, just to figure out what the heck you have going...

sharks

Contributing Member
OK first let me say this…
I am no electrician!

Here is how to determine the problematic plug.
Get a voltmeter.
Set it to the lowest setting
Put one prong into the water.
The other probe to a grounded wall outlet. (The round hole!)
Use a wall outlet not a power strip.

You will see the meter jump.
Now unplug every thing one at a time checking each time.
When the problematic pug is off there will be no more voltage reading through the meter.
HIH
S

Last edited:

SunnyX

Well when the probe is out the tank is fine. but when plugged in I get a shock. My house is only 10 years old and has 3 prong holes. Does it matter that I have everything plugged into powerstrips??

sharks

Contributing Member
The probe is grounding the circuit.
There is stray voltage in the tank and the probe gives it direction.
Creating current.
Figure out what plug is the culperate ASAP.
HIH
S