Tiny white dots on glass?

Pat24601

Actually, I have tiny white dots on glass and a circle of large white dots on my back glass...both of which appeared overnight after I (over)fed my corals. Not sure if that's related.

I'm wondering if the tiny white dots are spirorbid worms. The large white dots might be snail eggs?

Thoughts?

I was thinking spirorbid because of this post: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...all-over-my-glass-look-like-snails-maybe.html

Picture of both with a little bit of live rock for scale.

dc9bir.jpg

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Looks like the bigger ones are nerite snail eggs and the small specks can be copepods, hydroids or something else :)

Snid

I like PSU4ME's guess... The small specks could be any of the things he mentioned or even tube worms. If you can get a magnifying glass and look closely at the littles ones, you might see a spiral shape to them.

Danreef

Could be the small dots be Calcium Carbonate precipitation/deposition ?

I had that in my nano tank for some time.

Daniel

Oxylebius

The larger circles are nerite eggs. I have them all over the back glass of my tank...the small ones are too small to determine in the photo

Snid

I had Nerite Eggs too once... I don't think any of the babies survived, or if they did, they are hiding very well.

Pat24601

This helps a lot! Let me get a closer view of the smaller ones now that I have some idea of the types of things I might be looking for.

Oxylebius

This was super tiny, like a ~2mm in length, found it on the glass one morning a year or so ago. Most eggs won't end up surviving in tanks. This most likely is a collinista, as they are known to reproduce in tanks and have offspring that survive where other snails don't do as well....

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Don't ever throw away broken gun scopes!
2b559364be166df8bf27a6437166930e_zpsea054e54.jpg

The lenses from them can enable you to watch the tiniest little copepods dance.
I have several strengths of them, they are even cool to use with my iPad camera.
You could go to a gun shop & ask if they have any broken ones that they are going to throw away & they might give you one for free. I love looking into my tank with one. All the things you can see magnified are amazing.

Snid

Heh... I use a piece of glass that comes out of an old Photographic Enlarger for Darkrooms. For those of you going, huh? It's the piece of equipment a person can manually insert a film negative and then enlarge it for manual printing onto one piece of paper that you then have to develop in chemistry.

I've also seen some cheap magnifying loops for sale in places where they sell bug catching containers for little kids in slightly brainier toy stores. ;)

Oxylebius

I picked up a magnifying glass that has a light built into it from the Container Store, was one of their 'stocking stuffer' items last winter.

Pat24601

Heh... I use a piece of glass that comes out of an old Photographic Enlarger for Darkrooms. For those of you going, huh? It's the piece of equipment a person can manually insert a film negative and then enlarge it for manual printing onto one piece of paper that you then have to develop in chemistry.

This "film negative" stuff you speak of must be really high end and expensive because I never see it at my local store. Probably just for professional use. I bet it makes awesome pictures! :)

Seriously, thanks for the continuing tips. I was seriously trying to figure out what to use as a magnifying glass. Some good ideas. I have to travel for business for a couple of days, but I'll pick something up after that.

I saw some cool microscopes (for kids) at my local Fry's today, but I'd rather get something that just helps me look through the glass like all of you are suggesting.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
A jeweler's loop will work also. It's almost too small of a lens but for pods & life on the glass, it would work.
When I 1st started seeing Amphipods, I thought ""I can't believe these things are SO BIG!" when really they weren't. :yup: