TINY koi pond filter?

kathywithbirds

So now that we have a nice backyard I want to do a tub koi pond, about a 25g tub I think, but the pond filters out there are minimum 1000gph jobbies. Anybody got some cool DIY or mod ideas?

DesertOrchid

You might want to rethink your koi tub..... go bigger if you can! Isn't that what all us fishy people really want?! LOL!! I keep koi also and they will outgrow that tiny tub in a hurry and they like colder water. The tub will heat up and the fish will suffer. They are heavy feeders and can dirty up a small amount of water in a flash. Comets and even the fancier goldfish will tolerater the warmer water than the koi and it takes longer for them to get of any size...unless you feed them everytime they put their fishy lips up to the surface. *L* Hard to resist. Better yet you could do mollies or platys, even guppies do well in a small tub like that. Just not as flashy. Sorry to be the 'wet towel' .

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Good advise there Kathy, if you go smaller fish you can get away with plants and a little pond pump, ususally there's enough plant matter and bugs you don't need to feed

DaveK

DesertOrchid is quite correct. if you keep them outside, koi need deep, large ponds to stay healthy. As pointed out they grow big.

I recommend you either go with something much larger if you got to have koi, or go with a much smaller fish.

PEMfish

Right. But what ever you do put in that tub the fluval U series filters would be suitable.

kathywithbirds

He he he.... this is how we ended up with a 75g tank....

I can't really go huge, we're renting and it has to be some kind of tub setup. But yes on the koi, I know they get big... what kind of fish can I put in 30g-ish tub? Comets? They have to be fairly hardy but I'll be pulling them inside when it gets cooler.