tiger shovelnose catfish

rufus2008

Like the title says its a tiger shovelnose catfish that I have. Sorry for causing so much commotion! The fish doesn't seem to go after any food (trout pellets, meaty flakes, vegetable flakes...) other than live food. I wish it did it would save me a few bucks. I even tried feeding it small pieces of hotdogs (I read on the web to try it). But low and behold he only likes the live ones. I have two clarius catfish as well and they eat everything and anything! The clarius are in with two red eared slider turtles and they get along great. I tried to put the shovelnose in with them and the turtles almost killed it (they tried to eat it) so he had to be put in my small 33 gallon goldfish tank for now thats going to be a shovelnose and large silver dollar tank soon cause he won't stop eating the goldfish. Will eventually have to upgrade my saltwater tank (its a 108 gallon) and it will become the shovelnose tank I guess. This hobby of mine can be so costly!

polski

what size is the tsn? also what is the temp at? try feeding it some frozen bloodworms, cut up market shrimp, frozen krill, frozen silver sides.
i have one currently in my 29gallon growout that is about 5 or so inches long and eats blood worms, krill, silver sides and loves Hikari sinking carnivore pellets. i had a 3 about 2 years ago that would eat everything that i put in the tank for feeding from shrimp pellets to cichlid pellets. and i agree with you on this hobby being costly haha

rufus2008

He's 10 inches and growing. Water temp. is 26 degrees celcius. My clarius cats in my 66 gallon are like your tsn they eat everything and anything but in that case its good so my red eared slider and yellow bellied slider don't over indulge at feeding time.

polski

how long have u had him so far might be still settling in if you didnt have him for long and try maybe bumping up the temp to around 27-28 degrees celcius because the tank where i have mine in right now is around 29 degrees celcius and he is growing and feeding like crazy

matt123

Hi. my shovelnose catfish also does not seem to eat anything can anybody help, i hav had him for about 3days

matt123

hi i have a shovel nose catfish. i have had him for about three days and does not seem to be eating do you think he is still settling in? Any foods that you would recomened trying because my RTC/SNC hybrid also doesnt eat much.