Those that have switched to Bare Bottom

Pro_builder

For those of us that have switched to Bare bottom tanks, from a DSB or other form. Could you please give an update to what you like or dis-like about the system now?

I have recently went to BB tank. I have had to up my flow in the tank considerably. (Which I was told I would have too) Also had to rearrange the outputs of my CLS to accomidate for dead flow spots. To keep the algae down.

Shortly after I switched I had a mini cycle of Nitrates and Phosphates, but nothing to be alarmed about. The Algae break out was my main concern, but is starting to go away now. I just have a few small patches to deal with, about 2" in diameter or so.

Just thought this might be a helpful thread to those that are still considering the BB tank setup.

tommyp

Giving this a bump! Having not gone to bb yet I am hoping for some info on the after switch. I would add that getting rid of the DSB you will need some rock to fill up the new space. if you don't have rock all the way to the bottom of the tank.

I am interested in how you would setup the rock work in relation to the flow outlets.

Thanks

Tom

Pro_builder

I didn't add any rock to my setup, but I already have 150 lbs. of LR in my 75 gallon tank (including the rock in sump).

I am interested in how you would setup the rock work in relation to the flow outlets.
This is the tricky part.
I put a spraybar along the bottom, back of the tank. There are hole drilled going straight up the back glass, and holes drilled to go straight out towards the front glass.
Then the CLS (Closed Loop System) is set up with a SCWD, and 6 outlets (3 on each side of the tank and on each side of the SCWD)
They are about 4" to 8" below the water level of the tank, and are not glued together, so I can pivot and cut them down as needed to pinpoint my water flow patterns. This is done to help keep from having "Dead Spots" in the tank.
When rearranging hte LR for the BB tank setup, I tried to leave some really big Tunnels and Caves in the Aquascaping to allow water to flow freely through the LR. This has seemed to help out a lot.
But as always, when you change the system, you seem to have your hands in the tank more, moving this or that around, to get the affect that you are looking for.

Sorry so long.

wooddood

the wood dude
troy i just went bb too with a starboard substraight and lr and so far i really like the look.i also am running a rio 32 hf[hyperflow]pump on my return thats 1500gph before the scwd at a 4 ft head.i also added another scwd on a closed loop with a mag 7 and i also ran my returns from the closed loop about half way down in the tank but did'nt glue the elbows so i can change them from 45's or 90's so im just testing everything out right now and will try some different combanations until i find the setup that works best.troy what size pump are you running on the closed loop with that many returns?also i would like to know what you've found do be the best direction for the elbows for the best circulation in your tank.

Pro_builder

Wood, I am currently running my spraybar and the 6 outlets of my closed loop on a Ampmaster 3000 (3000 GPH) the return is just dumping into the tank in the opposite corner of the overflow.

I have my outside (input) lines pointing across the back of the tank. Then the rest are just slightly aimed twards the overflow. Although, I only have one overflow in my 75 RR. I am running 90* elbows on hte ends of the input lines then hooked to a LocLine w/ 1 1/2" of flexability for dialing in the flow characteristics.
HTH

wooddood

the wood dude
big pump,i thought it would have to have alot of flow with all the head pressure and elbows.let me know what you find out on the best angles you end up with for the best water movement.

mnreefman

update....... i had some slime lge bloom about 2 weeks after i took my dsb out.... my skimmer works twice as hard, i pwrsonally work twice as hard maintaining everything,..... but it is so worth it...

Maxx

I just spent a couple of hours emptying my tank out and removing the CC substrate. My anemone hadnt been looking too hot, and I was noticing more and more algae. I also took the oportunity to re-adjust the overflow in my tank as it wasnt running at peak efficiency. I like the cleaner look and my anemone already looks better for the switch. I had to put two peices of tupperware in the tank to contain some CC from my LTA, (needs to bury foot in substrate..this keeps him locked into one general area as well) and for my Derasa clam...I dont want it to bond to the tanks bare bottom. Other than that, I think it looks good.
I will post updates and pics later.
Nick

Brucey

Still thinking about going BB as opposed to my SSB ..... but still undecided. I will watch this thread with interest
Brucey

BoomerD

One question on the BB thing... I have a nice maroon LTA, that runs it's foot all the way thru the DSB to the bottom glass. I know these are sand dwellers, so am I gonna have to set up a 6" deep "flowerpot" (anemonepot) type of arrangement for this anemone?

Pro_builder

Boomer, Yes I would give the anenome a spot that he can sit in the sand. You could use a tuperware container, and put hte sand in it so that it is contained and doesn't let the sand blow around, in the tank.

tankgirl

One of the greatest things about BBs is that what you see is what you've got. With SBs, you could defer maintainance and also defer the outcome of poor maintainance to a degree - or for a time. With the BB, if you've been working long hours and haven't been able to take care of your tank, it's measurable and right out in the open.

I guess the single greatest thing about bbs is that you can get to the detritus and get it out.

Next best, the high flow in the tank! Oh, and crystal clear water.

Downsides;
I don't think people will be able to defer maintainance as easily as they could with a sb.

I'm not sure whether people will be able to keep some of the corals that need sand. I gave up my plate coral - one of my all time favorites. Time will tell whether a box of sand is going to work.

Originally posted by tankgirl

Next best, the high flow in the tank! Oh, and crystal clear water.

advantages

High flow; im runing a sequence 6000gph thru 4 SCWDS

The water is always clear!

NO DSB TO REMOVE and stink up the house

The drawbacks:

Maintnance- have to syphon wast 2 times per week

Retarted hermit crabs, they cant get back on there feet if they roll over

I miss my sand sifting gobies:(

Maxx

Sister Nikki and Brother Dave --Strike Again!!
Wit & Nikki, We have converted one more soul.
Sorry guys, I was a BB advocate for y'all got started....things just got so bad I decided I couldnt wait for the new tank, (that a severe shortage of funds...) so I removed the CC bed.
I have a nice maroon LTA, that runs it's foot all the way thru the DSB to the bottom glass. I know these are sand dwellers, so am I gonna have to set up a 6" deep "flowerpot" (anemonepot) type of arrangement for this anemone?
BoomerD,
thats exactly what I did w/ mine. The whole reason I ripped out my CC substrate this soon was because my LTA wasnt looking very happy. Wasnt expanding, wasnt eating etc.....I was getting worried. Its friggin HUGE (for my lil 20 gallon at least) now and I did all of this Sunday the 7th of March. Its definately much happier now than it was before. I'll post some pics.
Like I said, I'm not real wild about the tupperware in my tank, but if my anemone is happy, I can learn to accept it.
Nick

Maxx

Here's a full tank shot.....please disregard the crap on the front glass...havent tidied properly since the switch.

Maxx

Heres a better shot of the clam "sandbox".
My Derasa and one of my Maxima's from Clams Direct......
Again sorry for the saltwater spots.....you can see the tupperware easily...not ideal, but then again, this tank will be torn down when the bigger tank gets up and running soon...(hopefully).