This spawn's for YOU!!!

GSELLERS

Has been struck by the ban stick
ok here's my new tank...10 gallon painted black again...the other one was old and sprung a leak :(
allcamerajuly19052.jpg

simple 10 watt incandescent light from wal-mart
allcamerajuly19053.jpg

simple mod i did for the moonlights
allcamerajuly19059.jpg

all sides painted flat black, bottom is flat white have a thermometer on the right and my air supply in the middle
allcamerajuly19054.jpg

allcamerajuly19055.jpg

and my food
allcamerajuly19056.jpg

Tonight at 10-11 ill pull the eggs and place into the hatching tank...after about 30 minutes of bubbling we should have 100% hatch like last time

GSELLERS

eggs are rumblin away...i have a nice green tint to the water but not too much and a bunch of roti's...temperature is 80 degrees salinity is 1.020 I have 20 gallons on hand and ready to go and i also have my rotifers ready to go tomorrow morning. I alternate cultures unless the fry decimate the rotifer population then ill pull from both... ill try and take pics but my name isnt doni marie :)....thanks for the support and wish this batch good luck!!

BigJay

good luck. Your a good cat(no pun intended) who obviously cares about livestock. Hope everything goes smoothly!

GSELLERS

ok today i wake up and there's only about 50 fry in the tank. Last night i could not get the piece of acrylic to stay up in one place. It fell on the eggs twice so i left the air bubble pretty vigorously overnight to try and get the rest of the eggs to go, but that only killed the already hatched fry....We got about 50 babies kickin now im cleaning out the dead fry and rots on the bottom and adding more food :)
I need to look into different options for hatching the eggs....with the supplies i had i'm limited to my options. I spoke to soon when i said 100% hatch in my earlier post...i knew it! Anyway off to clean the tank and feed my babies. Since theres only a couple fry it should be no problem keeping a good density of fry in the tank

lcstorc

Sorry for the losses but 50 fish is still a good number to care for. I am sure hatch by hatch you will learn something new and that is what it is all about.
I can't wait to see your babies grow and thrive.
Captive breeding is one if not the most important thing in this hobby and I have great respect for anyone who even makes a serious attempt.

GSELLERS

i didnt do anything different that last hatch but i think it was when it fell over that made the rest crap out.

First cleaning and feeding done. There was alot o garbage on the bottom of the tank...eesh. mostly dead fry that got damaged while i was trying to buble the eggs. The 50 seem fine right now. I'm gonna keep water quality up food population high. Phyto is enriched with zoecon so that should fatten them up

also got wind on another set of breeding clowns. I'll be adding a set of onyx clowns to the mix here soon

rmlevasseur

G, if you hear of anyone selling clown pairs (preferably percs, ocellaris, picasso, black&white) that have actually mated, please let me know. I'd like to buy a pair for a dedicated tank. thanks

GSELLERS

since i havent posted up whats become of the babies i regret to inform you that they are all dead. Once again something stupid happens. The acrylic sheet fell over smashing the eggs. a small amount hatched and made it til morning but then they just didnt go far after that.

What am i going to do to fix this?
1. i got some airline tubing clips with suction cups. 2 will go on the wall holding the acrylic vertically and 2 will go underneath for extra stability. I might try something different like a tile the clay pot thing wont work there's no room.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Sorry but Keep at it! You'll get it!

Once they hatch, add an airstone if you're not already using one and turn down the flow to point to where they are not drawn into the current and get tumbled around. I find this to be much easier in a long 10gal tank instead of a small 5 gal or other 'short' tank.

Phyto is enriched with zoecon so that should fatten them up
What do you mean by that?
Never add zoecon directly to the larvae tank. It is very oily and can create a film on top of the water that can kill the babies (I think they suck it in somehow and suffocate).
Just use the instant algae to feed your rotifers. It works perfect.
Also, make sure you're seiving the rotifers. Never add rotifer water to the fry tank!!

GSELLERS

Sorry but Keep at it! You'll get it!

Once they hatch, add an airstone if you're not already using one and turn down the flow to point to where they are not drawn into the current and get tumbled around. I find this to be much easier in a long 10gal tank instead of a small 5 gal or other 'short' tank.

What do you mean by that?
Never add zoecon directly to the larvae tank. It is very oily and can create a film on top of the water that can kill the babies (I think they suck it in somehow and suffocate).
Just use the instant algae to feed your rotifers. It works perfect.
Also, make sure you're seiving the rotifers. Never add rotifer water to the fry tank!!

i used a 10 gallon tank this time, the fry that were remaining were damaged from the overnight vigorous bubbling.

what i do with the zoecon:
24 hours before phytoplankton is to be fed to the rotifers, i add zoecon to the phyto. After feedig the phyto to the rotifers i then seive out the necessary amount of rotifers for the feeding after 2 hours of adding phyto. I have the instant algae coming tomorrow YAY! I'm tired of all this bubbling around my apartment.
also got wilkersons book havent got a chance to open the package yet, but ill be reading it tonight

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I've never used the zoecon before but maybe the issue isn't that... It could be all physical damage?
Maybe you need to reduce the bubbling some? but I know there is a fine line between too much and too little bubbling on the eggs.....
I've read that a tiny bit of light at the 'calm' end will help encourage the small fry away from the bubbles... maybe you could try that?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Ohhh.. something else it could be is shock from too bright of a light. Make sure the light is dim for the first 4 days.

GSELLERS

i had been up for 3 days with no sleep (not drugs....personal reasons) i bubbled the eggs on the left side of the tank and light was shining through the back of the aquarium there were led to the light which was where the bubbles were..i passed out on the couch and woke up at 7am....Iknew when i woke up and went to go to the tank i was expecting 100%loss.

GSELLERS

ok i ordered the more concentrated instant algae.
Quick couple questions doni....i also read wilkersons book today

1. do you cover all 4 sides or do you cover the sides and back?
2. removal of sides/black paper is on day 5....do you follow this regimen
3. how much Instant algae should i freeze? i dont want to freeze too much or too little. maybe 1200ml? i dont know my rotifer consumption yet so think i shoud do the 20 oz blttles?
i bought the 1 liter bag also as well as a smaller less concentrated bottle from seahorse source

Woodstock

RS STAFF
ok i ordered the more concentrated instant algae.
Quick couple questions doni....i also read wilkersons book today

1. do you cover all 4 sides or do you cover the sides and back?
2. removal of sides/black paper is on day 5....do you follow this regimen
3. how much Instant algae should i freeze? i dont want to freeze too much or too little. maybe 1200ml? i dont know my rotifer consumption yet so think i shoud do the 20 oz blttles?
i bought the 1 liter bag also as well as a smaller less concentrated bottle from seahorse source

1. yes. I cover all four sides with black for the first week.
2. I remove only the front black cover at 5-7 days.
3. Freeze all but a small amount (4oz). Freeze the rest into individual small containers (4oz each) so you can thaw small amounts as you need it.