This is freaky, crab eggs???

kathywithbirds

So Mike has been to fisheries and whatnot and kinda has an idea of crab stuff and all and he's in front of his one tank yelling "it's throwing eggs!"

One of the emerald crabs was sitting atop the rock literally throwing white specks into the flow. The maroon clown is eating them up, and the shrimp and molly got into eating them too. Mike says the crab is throwing eggs, it's taking them from its belly and tossing them out.

Anyone seen this??

He's going to try and suck some up with a baster to see if he can save a few. Are we going to be overrun with baby crabs????

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
think of all the baby doo you gonna have to clean up, way to go MOM and DAD!! Happy New Year lol

kathywithbirds

She's done tossing her young. Many got eaten but not the majority.

Oh they're freaky, all clear bodied and big black dots for eyes. Different sizes, all tiny but some tinier than others. We have a couple in a bowl and one is really active, scurries about like crazy. They're swimming in the tank, two of them were, I swear to god, playing.

kathywithbirds

OMG I'm laughing my a## off, Mike's on the phone telling our friend whose maroon we're babysitting in this tank and he's telling him "we have crabs."

cigarluvr

Hey guys,

Just wanted to check in (since Mike doesn't answer the phone). LOL

Anyway on the saltwater front...

Got a case of the red/brown diatoms, what should I do. pH=8.2 NH4+=0 Nitrites=0 Nitrates=20

I am going to throw 10g of distilled water in there and see if that calms it down or not. I am going to pick up an RO system after the holidays, but until then I am just going to have to use the distilled stuff.

Do you think I could put come snails and hermits in there yet? Can you guys send me some chaeto after Christmas?

On the personal front...

Everything is going swimmingly. I like to alone time. It is quiet and calm. I finally got the "psycho" to stop calling, thank God, what's funny, and Mike will get a kick out of this, she wants some of her stuff back. Isn't that f'in hilarious?

Anyway, thanks for being suck great friends. You guys are always there when I needed someone and have no idea how much you have done for me and how much I cherish our friendship. Keep in touch and Merry Christmas!

Dan

cigarluvr

Hey guys,
Just wanted to check in (since Mike doesn't answer the phone). LOL
Anyway on the saltwater front...
Got a case of the red/brown diatoms, what should I do. pH=8.2 NH4+=0 Nitrites=0 Nitrates=20
I am going to throw 10g of distilled water in there and see if that calms it down or not. I am going to pick up an RO system after the holidays, but until then I am just going to have to use the distilled stuff.
Do you think I could put come snails and hermits in there yet? Can you guys send me some chaeto after Christmas?
On the personal front...
Everything is going swimmingly. I like to alone time. It is quiet and calm. I finally got the "psycho" to stop calling, thank God, what's funny, and Mike will get a kick out of this, she wants some of her stuff back. Isn't that f'in hilarious?
Anyway, thanks for being suck great friends. You guys are always there when I needed someone and have no idea how much you have done for me and how much I cherish our friendship. Keep in touch and Merry Christmas!
Dan

Emg

I saw a post somewhere else where someone had the same thing happen with their emerald crab. He taped the event and had a decent vid of the crab tossing her eggs...and some very good pics of the tiny little crabs. It was pretty cool ! He and his wife were just as excited as you guys were... :D

kathywithbirds

Hey Dan! Diatoms - your nitrates are a little high, if ammonia and nitrites are nothing then maybe it's time for a water change. Put this in your build thread or post it by itlsef -- someone will offer opinions/advice... I say wait the diatoms out or suck 'em out with a turkey baster, pictures! If people see they can tell you what the stuff might be. Yeah you might be able to add a clean up crew now.
And thanks, you've been a great friend for us too! Happy New year!!! (Glad to hear about the peace adn quiet :away: )

EMG -- it was neat, she was literally reaching under her carapace and tossing with her big claw. I'll have to keep an eye on the tank and see if I see any fry in there. I figure a certain percentage will survive in the rock crevices, but I'm wondering WHAT percentage!!!