thinking of getting my tank drilled

darkarcher

I'm thinking of getting my 90 gal tank drilled at a local glass shop the bottom is tempered so I'm going to have the back drilled instead below is a picture of my idea of what I'm thinking of doing to it tell me what u think thanks any other ideas are welcome
Return 1-3 in the center are for a closed loop system which in the picture i meant to make number 3 a outlet for the loop to get its flow

return 1 and 2 on outside will be for the sump
outlet 1 and 2 will be for the sump also
tank-view-back.gif

I like the looks of the arrangement, but is it too many holes? When I was getting ready to drill my 90g Perfecto tank I wrote to the manufacturer. I sent them a drawing attached to an email asking their opinion of my plans.

The very next day someone actually called me to be sure I did not attempt to drill the bottom. You can see my drawing here in my photo gallery if interested..They said the hole pattern (The holes I made were 2-3/8" dia., 6 total) I had drawn wouldn't weaken the back pane of glass enough to cause problems. Perhaps the manufacturer of your tank would have some useful input.

Scouter Steve

I am confused. Which hole is draining the tank to the sump? Also have you got overflows built inside tank? Sorry if this is stupid....still on first cup of coffee.

mps9506

Looks good to me. Might want to consider a CLS return near the bottom to kick up some circulation behind the live rock?

corrado007

I'm all about drilling tanks, it's the way to go in my opinion. I must admit, like Scouter Steve I'm too am a bit confused. Drilling holes for overflows, the return, and closed-loop is a good idea, I'm just not getting the whole diagram yet. Maybe I should go get some coffee too.:clink: Oh wait, that's beer. Maybe that's my problem.

darkarcher

searoyalwulf- appreciate the info how did u end up getting your tank drilled once u did it have u had any problems

Scouter Steve- outlet 1 and 2 in the overflow areas and it doesn't have a overflow yet once i get it drilled i will be making them

boozeman- who exactly is billyr searched the forums no result on that name

mps9506- i was actually thinking the same thing last night i made that at like 2:30 this morning and i didnt think about it till almost asleep thanks for making me want to put it in now

darkarcher... I'm very much into DIY projects so I drilled the tank myself. Found an inexpensive diamond hole saw on ebay & went to drilling. I experimented on a scrap piece from the hardware store so I could get a feel for what it would be like. The only thing I found a challenge was keeping the cutting area flushed out with water. The glass particles can build up under the cutter, slow the progress and increase the heat from friction. Otherwise a pretty straightforward task. (BTW, the LFS had quoted me $20 per hole after a disassembly/assembly fee, total $225)

Once drilled, I applied a bit of silicone sealant to each of the bulkhead fittings and here I am 18 months later, not a single drip out of any of the holes I made :). There's a photo in my gallery of the completed plumbing from behind the tank.

cracker

I drilled thru the back panel. Consider going with larger holes than normal if possible. The extra fittings may restrict the flow somewhat. If You feel comfortable with DIY, it's not too difficult. However that 1st hole can be unnerving! I also ordered a diamond holesaw & practiced same as Searoyal.
You may want to think about one large center overflow. I would also like to hear what the experts have to say about the pros & cons of two corner overflows compared to one big center one.

mps9506

I drilled thru the back panel. Consider going with larger holes than normal if possible. The extra fittings may restrict the flow somewhat. If You feel comfortable with DIY, it's not too difficult. However that 1st hole can be unnerving! I also ordered a diamond holesaw & practiced same as Searoyal.
You may want to think about one large center overflow. I would also like to hear what the experts have to say about the pros & cons of two corner overflows compared to one big center one.

The biggest consideration in overflows IMO should be how much surface area it can skim. You want to maximize the linear amount of surface skimming.
Usually two corner overflows will have more linear skimming surfaces than a single center overflow.
Ideal setup is a coast to coast external overflow that skims the full length of the tank. But that is not practical in most cases.

Finally AFA drilling the holes yourself. I practiced doing it with a carbide hole saw on smaller tanks. My DIY skill is pretty low so I just save it for the glass shops now.
But what I did was use some plumbers putty to build up a wall around the area I was drilling and got a couple bicycle water bottles (few bucks at the bike shop). I built a small stand to hold my tank up under the drill press, and slowly started drilling, keep using the water bottle to squirt water into where the bit is drilling. The water will keep it submerged, and the squirt bottle kinda helps keep it cleaned out.
I personally would do it without a drill press or some kind of device that will hold the drill perfectly perpendicular to the glass pane.

darkarcher

well I'm going to drill it here soon most likely going to drill it myself but first i will be going by the local glass shop and see if they think it will weaken the glass to much for the design i have now and if so I'll just do the holes for my over flows and returns for the sump and make an over the back closed loop system instead thanks everyone for the info that they have given me it has helped me make the decision to have it drilled or maybe even drill it myself