Thinking About Upgrading to a Marineland

Edison

It's time for another tank as the RSM 130D is getting pretty full and there are so many more corals (and a couple fish) that we'd like to have living happily in the living room.

After looking around a bit, we really like the Marineland cube style tanks and was wondering if anyone has experience with them? How is the build quality of the tanks? Is the cube a good shape for corals and fish?

We're hedging towards for 60 gallon mainly because the width matches the Marineland canopy we already have where as the 70 would require purchasing another light. (we are planning on getting a LED light but not until Spring time).

The RSM will be retired once the new tank is in place and we'll also need some info about how to best move the animals, sand and water from the RSM to the new tank.

Thanks!!

yungreefer2410

oh i don't know anything about marineland except for their hob filters. But their tanks are pretty solidly built, their stands might be a little lacking because most mass produced stands are

Edison

Would you know if the stands are made from real wood or that composite junk?

If composite, I will probably make my own stand.

Thanks!

tnwillia

You may also be able to use your existing Sump and overflow and other additions to your 130 on the new tank. Have fun with it!

GlassMunky

if i'm reading right, that tank and stand is almost $1000, My LFS is selling the RSM 250's with stand for $1500 and thats with lights and filtration and such and also 6 gal bigger than that cube. thats just my first reaction based on Price alone.

Edison

I can get the tank for cost- around 450 without stand and with Starfire glass. As for the stand, I'll probably make one and I don't think the wood will cost more than 200 and probably less.

Edison

You may also be able to use your existing Sump and overflow and other additions to your 130 on the new tank. Have fun with it!

Yes, I emailed Jeff at Lifereef and he said the sump & skimmer would work but I'd have to mess with the return flow from the sump a bit.