Think my rics are dying...

fishfreak20

I first intoduced them into my tank about 3 weeks ago, they were fine after acclimating and looked great for a week after. I have four on one rock, the biggest one is now small and white. The other three seem to be ok...I have a 75 Gal tank:
100 lbs. Live Rock
Nitrate-if not 0, <10 ppm pH- 8.3
Nitrite-0 Calcium- 460 ppm
SG- 1.025
Temp- 78-79 F
Octopus protein skimmer, run carbon, 2 maxijet 1200, 20 gal sump with 780 gph pump.
Lights: 2- 110 watt VHO and 260 watt Power Compacts= 6.4 watts/Gal.

I also have other mushroom corals that are doing great, along with: Brain coral, LPS Candy Cane, Hairy Mushroom, and 3 heads of pulsing Xenia. Fish wise, i have : Coral Beauty, Foxface Rabbitfish, 2 false perculas, and a Sailfin Tang. I have not noticed any of the fish picking at the Rics...anyone have any suggestions. Pics will be up later.

bigfish

how is your alkalinity mine are very touchy with alk changes and have bleached when ive added my 2 part alk calc mixes.

fishfreak20

The only thing I have right now to test alk are these cheap strips which tells me I am at about 300 ppm. Which is a little high, do you think a water change would help? I usually do 15 to 20 percent once a month.

JWarren

Maybe getting too much light. Plus get a handle on the alk. Take it to your lfs and have them test it for ya.

fishfreak20

Yea, I thought that might be the case, so I moved them to the bottom and still no change...I'll check on the alk soon, thanks for the advice.

mswiss

Has been struck by the ban stick
i feed mine krill twice a week, also just started changing water twice a month instead of monthly, making a big difference

Techno-Vicki

Some things to consider with ricordias:
first, if they are green, they will do very poorly in strong lighting - I have lost a few because of this issue. Second, sometimes when a colony starts going, it is almost impossible to stop the decline, even moving to a different tank doesn't always work. Also, colored rics need a lot of light, again - except the greens. I have learned many lessons the hard way with ricordias. Mushrooms are a beautiful addition to any tank and one of my many favorites. Best of luck:)

fishfreak20

The pic of what they looked like are in my gallery, Ill try to post a pic of how they look now...so there is no return, should I wait before getting new ones?

fishfreak20

fishfreak20

Um, sorry for this thread, actually I don't believe they were rics, I got them from a friend, but they are gone now, unfortunately. Everything else is doing great though and my water parameters are fine. Thanks for all the advice though. I saw some nice rics at my lfs, with this new information I believe Ill keep them alive ;) Thanks again

lcstorc

They may have been rics not that it matters now.
There are two types of ric that look significantly different. There are ricorida yuma and Florida ricordia. The yumas are much larger and generally look quite a bit different.