The truth about lighting

Scooterman

Tg I think that will work for any nurmeric form, you will have to convert either all to the metric system or all US standard.

Scooterman

In grenral I think light is measured in the metric terms but easily can be converted. Now as for as LUX & Lumens, these are units of light measurments. 1 LUX = .09290304 foot-candles; 1 Lumen /m2 = 0.092903 Footcandle; 1 Phot = .0000929 Footcaldles; 1 Nox = 929.0304014 Footcandle: 1 Meter Candle = 0.092903 Footcandle: thanks to conversion charts! :)
http://www.onlineconversion.com/

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Yea Boomer that exactly what I was going to say;) . I just didnt want to steal your thunder, share the wealth so to say:p

MIke

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
TG

It works for either, but I messed up wasn't thinkin' late at night. I gave LUX in my example, so that would need to be in m not feet. If I used LUM. 18,200 then I cound have used feet.

It has been corrected :D

Thanks for showing the error. Also the ISL can get complicated. Did you miss this link I gave. Also click on the book.

http://www.intl-light.com/handbook/ch06.html

Make sure TG you read chapter 7

Scoot

That is a nice little calulator haven't see it thanks. You forgot one though :D I gave it earlier though.

1 lumen = 10.76 LUX

Meaning 1 LUMNEN /square foot = 10.76 LUMENS square meter, as there are 10.76 sqaure feet in a sqaure meter and 1 LUMEN in a square foot

All one need to remember is the

1 LUMEN = 10.76 LUX, if you have a LUX value just divide it = by 10.76, i.e

15 LUMENS = 161.4 LUX ( 15 x 10.76)

161.4 LUX = 15 LUMENS (161.4 / 10.76)

Also don't forget that Lumen /m2 is the same as LUX .

40 lumens / m² = 40 LUX

Last edited:

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
I just didnt want to steal your thunder, share the wealth so to say

Abd I had to share it with TG :D

tankgirl

Scott, ditto, that was a very cool link, Thanks!!!

Boomey, Cheers! I hope there's no quiz, tho'. Another excellently cool link. My undying gratitude, as always! You & Mike are national treasures!

Witfull

a thought on actinics here, is the reason corals flourese under actinics is it because the are using the light, or are they using just a part of it and the flouresence we see the unwanted portion being reflected back to our eyes?

rckmtl

"Fluorescence occurs when a substance absorbs light of one wavelength and emits it at a longer wavelength -- often as visible light."

"Fluorescence is the property of certain molecules, or fluorophores, to absorb light at one wavelength and emit a light at a longer wavelength. The incident light excites the molecule to a higher level of vibrational energy. As the molecule returns to the ground state, the excited fluorophore emits a photon. This photon is the fluorescence emission."

I decided not to be lazy today. I rembered that I studied this one a long time ago, but could not remeber how to word the explanation. Fortunatally other people did it for me.

One thing about light, and heat that helped me to understand concepts relating to them is this. To alwys remeber that whatever it is called, light, heat, radiation, ect... it is just a form of energy. If you think about it in terms of being energy it is easier to understand. For me anyway. When I hear the word light, or heat, it brings very specific concepts to my mind. but if I think 'what type of energy is this' or 'how will it react to this type of energy', it makes things a lot simpler.