The Story of my 20g

big_vard

So where do I start...

Well not to repeat too much of my "introduction" post, but here goes:

So I started into the hobby probably 15 years ago. I spent about 10 years with my dad where we started with 35 gallons and eventually upgraded to 77. Through all of that time we never had many of the things that I now know to be very important for a successful marine aquarium.

Recently, labout a year ago, living on my own in grad school I decided to get back into the hobby. I took an old freshwater 20 gallon, threw in some liverock, a couple chromis and away I went... using just a simple single flourescent bulb and an aquaclear filter I was a little behind the ball to say the least.

This lasted until about 2 months ago when I had a major disaster after I made a really bonehead move and "rinsed" some algae off my liverock, thus destroying much of my biological filtration. I lost everything except a few crabs and one Astrea snail.

I cleaned everything and started fresh...

With a fresh start I am running:
Skilter 250 - Modified with airstone, don't usually use filter media either.
Power Glow 15W bulb.
Hagen Heater
Quiet One Powerhead

The skilter, though a big piece of &(*$ is actually doing a decent job. It produces a fair amount of brown cruddy water as you can see here...
P1010035.JPG

The powerhead I'm using isn't ideal, but it'll do for now...

I also have a "pile" of liverock... no idea how much in weight.

My current inhabitants are:

"Heidi" my Yellow-tail Damsel
Heidi.JPG

"Gob" (pronounced Jobe.. like the guy from arrested development) my False Percula
Gob.JPG

"Hugo" my cleaner shrimp
Hugo.JPG

"Trooper" (because he made it through the disaster) my Astrea
Trooper.JPG

And a bunch of random hermits...
Crabby1.JPG

I also have a few turbo snails who are not doing very well. I had 5 and there are now only two left. When I bought them my LFS told me to just "throw them in and they'll be fine"... not exactly true as I now know... hopefully the remaining two make it, though they don't look great. They have been hanging on for a few weeks now so I am hopefull...

Finally, I made a recent upgrade by changing out my substrate. I used to be using 0.5 mm aprox crushed gravel and "play sand". I've since upgraded that to 1mm aprox aragonite. This was a great opportunity to get rid of my Cyno that was all over the gravel. The new gravel is shown in tha pic with the crab...

Well, that's it for now. I'll be buying more live rock as my next step in improving my little piece of the ocean...

big_vard

Well I have an "all-you-need" (according to LFS) test kit and can test for:

pH
Alkalinity
Ammonia
NitrIte
NitrAte
Specific Gravity

I'll get a full tank shot up soon, and if you like i can post my parameters next time I test the water, I am planning to pick up a few more test kits, what other things would you guys suggest I test for?

Steve

aquaman3680

If you just have the fish and shrimp crabs and snails there really isnt much else to test for. Once you get into corals then you need to test for other things. If you really want to get some more test kits you might get a copper and iodine test kit.

Matt

big_vard

UPDATE April 11, 2007

Well things are moving along nicely...

Switched out the sand/gravel/crushed coral substrate for some "fineish" aragonite. This has been great as it removed all the cyno that was growing on my substrate. I cleaned the cyno off my live rock when i did this changeover too, and have been using DI/RO water for topups and water changes since. The result: no more cyno!! Here is my new substrate:
Crabby1.JPG

Recently added a Ricordia, it's looking ok, about the same size as it was at the LFS. I'd really like to increase my lighting, but finances are restricting that so I'll have to do with just the 15W flourescent for now, I'll watch the Ricordia carefully to see if this is inadequate for it... (sorry for the bad pic)
Ricordia.JPG

I recently discovered a hitchiker that came in on some rock a few days ago. I've ID's it as a peanut worm. Haven't got a picture of it yet as it doesn't like the light very much, but it's about 2" long (what I can see). Dark Brown/white striped and about the diameter if a piece of spaghetti. Here is it's cave (the circular hole in the rock):
Worm_Hole.JPG

So I've also aquired some macro algae, I believe it's grape caulerpa. It's in my display at the moment, but I'll have a refugium soon to move it into. I've added some more liverock as well... here is a full-tank shot (please excuse the poor camera and the messy glass LOL):
Full_Tank_April_11.JPG

So this brings me to my next project. I'm in the process of building a HOB (sort of..) refugium with a skimmer. It'll replace my crummy skilter. It should be done shortly and I'll be sure to post a full explanation of its construction in the DIY section in addition to pictures of it here...

Thats it for now.

Steve

lcstorc

Nice progress.
Please let us know about you DIY project and what worked and what didn't.

flricordia

Nice start. I know what it can mean with the cash flow thing, but for a 20gl if you can buy from ebay there are some pretty good PC deals there. Even for the ric you are probably going to need something a little bit stronger, at least another 15wt if possible. If you can afford around $100 you can get a Coralife 96wt outfit at marine depot. https://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=ES53101
And for a 20 tall it would be perfect for ricordias, zoos and shrooms. Probably even some higher placed LPS and leathers. I have one and it is a great light. Here is a pretty reasonable deal too. I personally like Odyssea lighting and haven't had any problems with the brand. For the price it is pretty good. You could get 2 of these and have a low and higher light cycle. 20" 36W Compact Fluorescent Light Fixture - 501004