The rest of the story.

Snid

Any way you could cover the rock he is in with a giant glass bowl or something? Pump in air. Suffocate the bugger with atmosphere?

saintsreturn

I am looking forward to hearing about how you get him out. That said, live that video

Sent from this thing in my hand

mikecc

A) Are you planning on eliminating this creature from your tank? & B) What are your opinions on QT? Esp. in regards to live rock in particular? I have not thought to QT rock before, unless it had aptaisia on it. This may change my view on QTing your rock also.

reefer gladness

You sure a coke-bottle trap won't work? I was thinking a wide-mouth bottle like a 1 quart Gatorade.

mikecc - you can do a couple hypersalinity dips about 1 minute long in 1.035-1.040 to expel critters from LR without killing them. Bristle worms, shrimps, etc. will come out and you can separate the ones you want to keep.

Oxylebius

Though I have not tried it, I heard soda water works well to expel them from the rock. Not sure if this would kill 'em or not :ponder2:

Mike Johnson

All great minds at work. This tank has some several fish that are very valuable to my heart. Sponges on every rock. Well, anyway, lots of things that die the minute they touch the air. Taking all the live rock out is a last resort. The Gatorade bottle thing is something simple that I didn't think of and sure might work. Thanks you guys for bouncing things off of me.

mkecc, out of all the things that I would add to a tank live rock would be the most important thing to QT. Even then eggs hatch, whatever, never know what you're going to get. I was afraid to hijack the thread, but I see it's my thread; so I'll show some hitchhikers. Here's a good one;

Mike Johnson

Here's a good one/bad one. It sure was beautiful and it traveled the whole tank. Miss that guy. It's a tunicate eater. Had a bunch of tunicates - bad boy.

The coral behind it is good. In the next picture I'll show another bad boy that eats it.

Mike Johnson

Hitchhikers come in other ways. Here's a Gorilla Crab that came in inside a Crocea clam. The clam was in QT for two weeks. This is a shed and it's about 3/8" from leg tip to leg tip.

I've got lots more hitchhikers. Do you guys want to see them or am I boring you to death?

Akshay

No no.... pls do share... I've seen this kinda crab come in one of my systems once. This could be like a good photo guide to idnetify pests.

Mike Johnson

This didn't come from the live rock from Indonesia. This is from a pet store rock from Haiti. First spotted early one morning trying to pull one of my fish into a rock. It was over 14" long stretched out. Here it's about nine inches scrunched up and big around as my thumb. This worm is known for swallowing corals and taking the flesh off. It can also catch sleeping fish. Hermodice Carunculata.

StirCrayzy

I don't know anyone sane, who will turn down hitchhiker Pics and info!

I wish I paid attention to mine, but I don't, whatever's in there only gets found by chance then I usuall don't see again.
I've only really ever manually removed bristleworms, and a couple crabs, everything else goes on its merry way.

Snid

Mike, with the pictures and experiences you have, you could start your own hitchhiker image database that would be just as good, if not better, than all the others out there. I find that such image databases are lacking in efficiency, ease of use, and clarity. There have been some things that I have researched for hours on end to no avail. I wish I had the time to set one up myself.

slfcaptain

Mike, with the pictures and experiences you have, you could start your own hitchhiker image database that would be just as good, if not better, than all the others out there. I find that such image databases are lacking in efficiency, ease of use, and clarity. There have been some things that I have researched for hours on end to no avail. I wish I had the time to set one up myself.

I'll second that.

steve