The Madman does a little reaquascaping

Mad Mike

Two more problems.

I lost 2 serpent stars in one week. Oddly enough it looks like the conch got em. They were, well the parts that were left of them, were in his corner arms ripped off bodies nibbled. Anyone every hear of this?

Getting snail die off, the astreas are dropping like flies I just pulled four of them out. Water tests fine everything is in range but I can't figure this out. Massive old age? Is my tank a snail graveyard and I missed the memo? Only time I have seen stuff like that is with cycling. Maybe with all the new rock I got a small cycle going that the kits aren't picking up.

I'm totally disgusted. Zoo's still havent opened, gorgs closed, bubbles closed, lost my lettus and my elephant ear, colt wont open, shrooms are scrunched up. I'm at a complete and total loss and just ready to let it run it course for a couple of months and start over. :waa:

I did order that skimmer I pointed out the other day maybe that will help some.

Witfull

that suxs dude!! have you done a waterchange? id try a major change and get the skimmer on ASAFP~.

Mad Mike

Yeah changed another 55 saturday. I'm always changing water, seriously I change water daily minimum of 5 gallons but usually 10 gallons.

Gina

RS STAFF
Sounds like the problem we had when we first started a tank. We lost an anenome and didn't get it out fast enough. We started loosing everything.
Did 10 gal water changes daily for about 5 days straight. We also added filter material to our overflow and used carbon.

It took several weeks until we were able to add snails and a shrimp again. I was at my wits end and ready to throw it all in. My boyfriend kept us going and everything worked out!

We'll keep an eye on how things go with yours!
Karma for a little help!

Mad Mike

Oddly enough the shrimp are hanging tough. Of course this means tomorrow they will be on their back's, legs sticking straight up with little x.x over their eyes :D

Mad Mike

New skimmer lovin....
Skimmer_1.jpg

Mad Mike

ETSS 900 by AE Tech, real nice people. Looks like its working real well also but I'll post up a more formal opinion after a week or so.

Witfull

i just put an ETSS EV 500 on my tank,,,,they rock. i broke the rules thou....they say 500gph pump,,hogwash, it kicks booty with a mag18 at 3ft head~

LivingTropicals

RS Sponsor
Nice Skimmer Mike, love that ETSS. I got my ETSS800 from AETech and I love it, I also have the UHF 72 sump with the 800 sklimmer running the MD55RLT iwaki pump. What pump do you have feeding that 900?

Mad Mike

LivingTropicals said:
Nice Skimmer Mike, love that ETSS. I got my ETSS800 from AETech and I love it, I also have the UHF 72 sump with the 800 sklimmer running the MD55RLT iwaki pump. What pump do you have feeding that 900?

Iwaki MD 70 RLT just for the skimmer and another for the tank.

Sorry I missed your question LT.

Anyway looks like my nightmare is finally over. The tank has settled in and I started restocking it today. I just let it sit for the winter and cycle out. I was pretty depressed over the masive die off I had. I put in a nice little zoo colony and a beautiful gorgonia. They are in for about an hour and have opened up. Thats really a first for me most stuff took a few days to open in the past, so I take that as a sign the water is good. I'll get some pic's up of the new additions in a few days.

I cut back on the rocks some, and got rid of the mag drives for an Iwaki 70 for circulation. I have much better movement and turn over then I have ever had. This should help. The skimmer went nuts for a few days after I added the new pump and all the crud started to die off.

I think I finally have the water chem thing figured out and that was a huge part of my problem. Everything went wrong at the same time.

I added new rock and changed skimmers, and while the ETSS is a great product and Gary is a great guy, you really have to know how to use and adjust them so they operate correctly. They can be a tad finicky. I don't find it to be a "plug and play" you really need to tinker with it alot.

Gina

RS STAFF
Sorry to hear about the massive die-off Mike!
Looking forward to seeing your tank reborn.