the life of a glass tank?

mkpaulson

i have recently read a few posts about glass tanks leaking, I know when you buy a new tank and factory stand you get a five-year warranty . it has got me wondering when we should replace our glass tanks especially those tanks over a 100 gallons, I know there is a lot of stress on these tanks especially with a few hundred pounds of live rock and sand and then you add the water how long should we expect them to last.does anybody know if there is the industry standard on the life of a glass tank?

Cosmic

Coming from an LFS of 20+ years, we have quite a few tanks that have lasted almost the full 20 years. The oldest right now are about 18 yrs old, but looking somewhat frail. They have also undergone rigorous weekly algae padding the entire life of the tanks, further degrading the silicone seals.

On avg, I have to start replacing tanks after 10-15 years at the shop. This includes a 135 Reeftank on a DIY 2x4 stand, and a 150 on the bottom shelf of the stand.

However, my 75 gallon at home let loose on one of the bottom seams at only 6 years old (Luckily they offered 7 yr warranties at the time!). It was on a pressboard stand that got wet and started sagging, most likely causing the problem. if on a stable firm LEVEL stand, they should do great for quite a long time.

JME,
Cos

Witfull

not to hijack, anyone remember the old stainless steel frame-slate bottom tanks? i aquired a 50 breeder that was in continual use in a small LFS for 30 years. i used it for many years as a species tank for a siren. then i gave it to another hobbyist. i wouldn't doubt that it is still knocking around someplace.

gumhead

I have heard that if a tank sits dry for a long time the silicon will dry up and will leak or bust its seals if filled. If the tank sits dry for you should reseal, like an old tire it gets dry-rot. I have never heard a tank leaking because it has been set up to long.

Cosmic

Wit,
My basement was full of those metal-framed tanks as a kid. Problem with them was metal and water and electricity never did work very well together:rolleyes:

Can't tell you how many times I got shocked on those tanks. Sure leaves childhood scarring...LOL

Cos

Craig Manoukian

Originally posted by gumhead
I have heard that if a tank sits dry for a long time the silicon will dry up and will leak or bust its seals if filled. If the tank sits dry for you should reseal, like an old tire it gets dry-rot. I have never heard a tank leaking because it has been set up to long.

Yes this is a fact Dave. Just as paint peels off of your house after lots of exposure silicone will loose its polymers and cohesive flexibility if let dry and especially if exposed to direct sunlight. Just look what happens to the silicone used on boats.

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk: