The escape artist

addict

I guess I'll start at the beginning...

Two weeks ago we added a cleanup crew from wctropicals, and just for kicks we also had them send us a black clown goby along with the order, figuring it would be a cool little coral-perching fish like our old green clown goby had been.
In true fashion, the fish showed up emaciated (which is a charactestic of being transported, not anything to do with wctropicals specifically), so we spent the better part of the first week with it in our growout area, getting it to eat and fattening it back up. So, being that the fish was finally in good shape we put it in the main display...

I probably should've left it in the sump...

What I didn't know about black clowns (or many of the other varieties as well) is that even though they perch in sps colonies, they also 'nip' them... the black clown goby I had added was terrorizing all my acropora colonies, and all were closed up.

So, after 6 frustrating hours (and a couple of dislodged or broken frags) trying to catch it, it was once again back down in the sump.

If you notice in my sig, I run a Mag 18 as a return pump, which uses a prefilter 'screen' rather than a prefilter sponge... well, we came home yesterday evening to find that the black clown goby was back in the tank, once again terrorizing all the corals... :columbo:

Apparently it had swam into the return pump and got pumped back into the main tank... without a scratch on him. :columbo:

At least I learned something about the fishes habits in the first 6 hour catching spree, and it only took about 15 minutes to catch it last night... it is now in a breeder box in the sump awaiting transport to the LFS...
:D

Another lesson learned... :cool:

Last edited:

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Man, and I thought it was bad when my nerite snails wouldn't stay in the tank. They like to perch on the plastic frame on top, and I even caught one making his way down the back side of the tank on the out side!

That is CRAZY how it got through the MAG 18 without being made into mush.

addict

I am amazed as well, being how that was the method by which our green clown goby had died (though a different pump)...

I just picture the fish sitting there staring at the blades spinning and trying to time his approach... :D

The worst part of it all was when I first realized it had gotten back into the tank... after how long it had taken me the day before to catch it. :D
Catching a 1" fish in a 120g tank isn't an easy undertaking... ;)