The #$%^ bristleworm got me

DrHank

Well I pulled a dumb move over the weekend. I was given about 150 lbs of live rock which was overrun with aiptasia and bristle worms. I know that I should have brought my aquagloves but I forgot. To make a long story short I almost got it with out incident but it looks like a bristleworm may have gotten me on one finger.

There aren't any exposed bristles but I've got one spot where I'm sure that they are under the skin. My question is what (if anything) can I do? I've heard that a vinegar soak may start to dissolve the bristles but in this case they are below the skin.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
sorry Doc! Id suggest you pee on your fingers but not sure if thats for bristles or jellyfish lol, did you try the crazy glue?

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Make paste with Adolph's meat tenderizer and water and glob it on the area. The meat tenderizer breaks down proteins and will help neutralize any poison. Also oral benadryl will help with itching and swelling.

DrHank

The benadryl I can do. The Adolph's will have to wait till tomorrow but is worth a try. Are the bristles protein? I thought they were calcium.

Royalscott

Until you can get the meat tenderizer, what about making a paste with baking soda & water like one would do to get a bee/wasp stinger out?

DrHank

Yes Jack you are absolutely right but I didn't want to drive back and waste 1 1/2 hours. I guess that's the price I'll have to pay. Makes me want to do a bit of minor surgery. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Triggerjay

I got into one last week moving rock around. It itched for about 2 days. it was right between two fingers,... it was more of an annoyance for me than anything. I didn't have a reaction like Jack thank goodness!

Jason

Jake

Sorry to hear about your sting...

On the rock topic, my rock was also loaded with bristle worms when I got it as well. I left mine in a large garbage can (dark) with salt water and a circulation pump for about a week and most bristle worms died and floated to the top. Man it smelled... Then I scrubbed the rocks with a brush, fresh water dipped, and put them into my tank. I had little to no cycle. Good luck, the price was right as long as it doesn't cause any nuisance problems down the road.

BEELZEBOB

let a glob od DARK mud dry on the area.

the mud drying will absorb nasties.

some old indian dude showed me that when i got scorpion stung in utah.

Tru2nr

man i feel lucky when i had to tear down all of my rock i and i scrubed it all that i didn't get "wormed" or when i scraped off my zoa frag off the plug and as im setting it in the water there was a bristle worm that left me alone