The best RO UNIT ?

nickt

I want to purchase an ro unit, but I'm not sure what is really necessary? I am building a reef tank. Do I need a 4 stage unit, or is a 3 stage good enough. Do I need the deionization or is this overkill. Is it necessary to add stuff to the water after you make it? Do you have to buy a Kent Marine or are the other units just as good. If so, What one is the best for my money. :bigbounce

Gina

RS STAFF
We purchased a 6-stage unit from Aqua-Safe systems off e-bay for $75.00. We add nothing to our water after we make it. Our unit works great! Don't know if it's the best but, for the money....you can't beat $75.00!

Have you checked out our sponsors? I'd also go there and see what they have to offer. Some are offering discounts on your purchases.

nickt

Thanks for the help. Is the aqua safe unit as good quality as the kent marine? Are the replacement filters going to be more expensive?

BoomerD

The "BEST" are built by spectrapure, but you WILL pay for them. AquaticReefSystems puts together a great system, but again,not cheap. What you need, depends on the quality of your starting water, and how much water you need. Some people get by fine with just a DI system, others, just a good RO, while many of us need the added help of a RO/DI. Everyone I know who's bought the Aqua-Safe units, has ended up buying a better unit within a couple of years. I STILL have the Spectrapure 3 stage unit I bought 15 yrs ago. (think it's time to change cartridges or membrane yet?) It has been in a box for a couple of years, since I bought the ARS 100 gpd Oceanus.
All of the RO sellers just assemble components built by others. Spectrapure goes a bit farther and tests each membrane, and the ones that test over 95% rejection, are what they call "Select" and go into their higher end units.

cronicreef

I would call your water comp. and see what there treating the water with and see some of the chem levels like phoshate. If you really want to get into it you can order a costume unit so you don't get anything that you don't want. Same you some money from buying filters over and over again that your not going to use.

Also you could try to get a TDS meter and read your water. If your TDS reads really high you might want to get a higher stage unit. If it's low you might be able to get away with smaller unit. Both will work but if you get what you need than your not going to be wasting as much water and spending less money down the road.

I've had great luck with this comp. They also have great service and can help you decide what you need to get.

http://www.aquariumwaterfilters.com/index.html