The Adventures of Breeding Marine Fishes!

jski711

good luck with everything. i will say though, not trying to burst your bubble, but i have heard from quite a few people that some clowns are actually being overbred and its cheaper for stores to by wholesale from overseas. it sounds like you are setting up a serious setup which is the only reason i mentioned this. i would start out small and see how well you are able to get rid of your fish when they get big enough. lets get some pics on this thread baby!!!

lcstorc

Wild fish in general are less expensive but most knowledgable aquarists will buy tank bred whenever possible. Not only does it help to save the wild animals but they are often easier to keep and have less disease.
I would gladly spend a little extra money to avoid taking the animals from the ocean.

Premnas

Hello Jason,
I commend you and agree 100% that marine fish will go the same way of exotic birds. Having kept birds in the past I can see how nearly impossible it is to get wild stock. I actually would not mind a total ban on collecting certain species, especially clowns and anemones. This is why I have started to breed clownish again. The last time I was involved in mariculture was over 20 years ago. I found clown fish very easy then and I've succeeded on my very first try again with A. percula. I want to move on to the rarer species. I have a pair of A. chysogaster on loan but since they are still very young the bond between them is not strong and I had to temporarily separate them. I'm having the same problem with the Darwin black ocellaris. My female is huge and beats up on the male to the point that today I had to separate him also. Both pairs of GB maroons get along great by no eggs yet. My regular ocellaris pair are well bonded but still too young. Without a very large hatchery and lots of money I have to keep the project small, but if we as hobbyist specialize on only a few species then we may wind up captive breeding most of the available clowns as a group. I would be interested in which species members are keeping and who is breeding what. I for one have breed 100s of species of fresh water fish many with fry much smaller than clown fish and would be willing to share my 45 years experience with anyone interested. I would also love to trade captive raised juviniles with other hobbyist to broaden genetic diversity. I presently have about 20 very young Solomon percs that I would like to trade with other captive bred Solomon percs so that I don't have to breed siblings for my F2s. Anyone with ideas please ring in or send me a private message.