The 180gal Family Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmlevasseur

Very cool idea for an aquascape!! However I wouldn't have recommended buying used sand from someone. It's probably loaded with phosphates. Fine for seeding though.

nikkipigtails

Thanks Lynn and JoJo.

We finished all the 'scaping today in both tanks but we've got to get some more sand for the little tank. We're having some problems with microbubbles coming out of the sump returns. We can't figure out why because we didn't have any when we pressure tested it before we added the rock and sand. We tried dialing down the return pump and even adding the extra LR around the inside perimeter of the return section where the water falls into it to cut down on the amount of splash. We also added some check valves to the sump returns so we could add more water to the system. Does anyone think the check valves have anything to do with the bubbles? Anyone have any ideas of what to try next?

nikkipigtails

Very cool idea for an aquascape!! However I wouldn't have recommended buying used sand from someone. It's probably loaded with phosphates. Fine for seeding though.

Thanks Robert. The sand is dead by now and we rinsed it really really well before we added it to the tank.

nikkipigtails

Thanks JoJo.

Oh, I forgot to mention that we may be getting another tank. It's a 130 gal custom acrylic cube. If we get it, it would go in the bedroom and be a predator tank. I kinda hope we do so Tommy will have a tank. :D

JoJo

thats good news Nikki. will it have a sump as well...if so do you think it would make enough noise to interrupt your sleep?

nikkipigtails

I hope not. It will have a sump and all the pumps are sequence pumps so it's pretty quiet.

I can't figure out why my pictures are turning out so blue. When I look at my tank, it definately does not look that blue. :(

nikkipigtails

Water's clearer so here's the new 'scape
Right side:
1zeeh4i.jpg

Left side:
2cnv82b.jpg

FTS:
14obpz9.jpg

rmlevasseur

Thanks Robert. The sand is dead by now and we rinsed it really really well before we added it to the tank.

I don't mean to be a downer, but rinsing isn't going to release the phosphate from it. Perhaps you should let a decent amount sit in a cup of RO water for a few days and then test the phosphate level, just to make sure. I'd hate to see such a beautiful setup covered in algae.

nikkipigtails

Thanks Robert but changing it out is, financially, not an option. If it is loaded with phosphates then we'll just have to deal with it.

Just out of curiousity, I tested just a few minutes ago.
Phosphates: 0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

I was so sure that with the smell of the rock, I would get something other than zeros. I guess that much water diluted the die-off enough to not register on my tests. So we'll have to get some shrimp (oh darn) and throw one in the tank to start a cycle.

JoJo

nice scape job Nikki. you may need more than one shrimp, i used 2 the first time and now i'm on the second shrimp cycle with 5 shrimp. i'll probably do another 5 after this one just to make sure the bacteria can handle it

G!N+T0N!K

nice scape! you take my boobie mound technique? haha j/k. Your sand looks pretty clean nice work! Your story about curing the LR sounds like you had fun moving it to and from containers. Glad to hear you didn't give up. I hope you figure out your venting issue.

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
Love the way those Types of scapes look. Nice Nikki, I cant wait till we get our house, THEN ITS ON!!! Daniel will be in the big tank club!!!

nikkipigtails

Thanks Daniel!

I think I finally figured out why my pictures are turning out so blue. Both sides and the back are all painted dark blue so it's reflecting off everything and the pictures are turning out blue even though when I look at the tank it doesn't look blue. Oh well. Guess you guys will have to deal. :D

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
hey nikki, check your camera. it might have a "white balance" feature, use that to make sure that white is the correct shade, this should fix the Blue issue.

rmlevasseur

Good news on the phosphate Nikki.

As I was looking at my tank today it struck me that my tank is like a "macro" version of what you did. Two caves except more of a wall instead of two discrete areas :)

framerguy

nice scape! you take my boobie mound technique? haha j/k. Your sand looks pretty clean nice work! Your story about curing the LR sounds like you had fun moving it to and from containers. Glad to hear you didn't give up. I hope you figure out your venting issue.
I knew they reminded me of something!! I must be slipping. ;^P

I really like the way it's set up. I want to use the two island scaping in my new one also. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.