Teresa's Cichlid Tank

aquaticimports

Has been struck by the ban stick
Ok I will see if i can explain this . Pseudothrpheus are from lake malawi. They are a different species from tropheus. African cichlids come from the three rift lakes Malawi,Victoria, tanganyika. The lakes hold an encredible 600 species of cichlids
this is from wikipedia
Tropheus is a small genus of six species of cichlid fish endemic to Lake Tanganyika in East Africa. The genus Tropheus is widespread across all regions of lake Tanganyika, from Burundi in the North to Zambia in the South.Males and females are relatively similar but do display obvious sexual dimorphism. Males attain a somewhat larger size. All species maternally mouthbrood their eggs and fry and it is this characteristic that provides their latin name. Tropheus comes from the Greek "trophos" which means "to nurture". The genus is fished lightly by the local population but has never become a staple food fish due to its relatively small size and its habitat which enables it to dart between rocks when threatened.

Most species occur along the coastal fringes of the lake at depths of less than 3 metres. These rocky shores, with numerous rocky outcroppings and boulder formations form a habitat similar to many of the mbuna cichlids of Lake Malawi. This habitat provides shelter and, due to the shallow depth and the long hours of strong sunlight, heavy algal growth on which the Tropheus feed. The only tropheus species to dwell further out and deeper in the lake is Tropheus Duboisi which in general inhabits deeper regions of the lake down to around 15-20 metres. All species are algal grazers and have underslung mouths adapted to rasping algae and microinvertebrates from submerged rocks.

Pseudotropheus is a genus of rock dwelling (Mbuna) cichlids found in Lake Malawi. Like some other large cichlid genera, such as Cichlasoma, a number of related fishes have been recently re-assigned to different genera such as Tropheops or Maylandia (see also: Metriaclima). Mbuna literally means "rockdweller" and this description accurately depicts the lifestyle of these cichlids which mostly live in rocky areas. Most Pseudotrophine cichlids are algal grazers in the wild.

Hope this helps.

Oh BTW you can keep them together .Keep you PH at 8.5 and you salinity at 0.53 ppt.

teresa

Thank you Mr Aquaticimports for the information. It sure helps me alot . Much appreciated.
Just went and pick up 12 Tropheus sp Black Bulu Points. They are doing well in the new 90 gallon tank. I notice they school and it is so much fun to watch them swimming from one side of the tank to the other.
My Tropheus Moorii Bemba and the Tropheus Moorii Kaiser will be arriving next week. They totaled 30. ( 18 Kaiser and 12 Bemba) They will be added to the 90 gallon tank.

aquaticimports

do not feed them for four days ...this will minimize bloat. expect some aggression from the different tropheus ...they should work out there chain of command per say in a few weeks

BTW my name is Brian

teresa

do not feed them for four days ...this will minimize bloat. expect some aggression from the different tropheus ...they should work out there chain of command per say in a few weeks

BTW my name is Brian

Brian, the Bulus that are in my tank now are about 31/2 ins but the Bemba and the Kaiser are only 1 1/2 ins. Will there still be aggression since the Bulus are so much bigger. The Bemba and the Kaiser are arriving at the same time. Do I still have to starve them for 4 days?
Thank you for the information.

aquaticimports

Yes do not feed them for the four day period.If you do they will get bloat I promise. Keep you lights off and if you see any agression before you can feed change the tank decorations around to keep them confused and less likely to fight.

teresa

Yes do not feed them for the four day period.If you do they will get bloat I promise. Keep you lights off and if you see any agression before you can feed change the tank decorations around to keep them confused and less likely to fight.

Thank you for your help,Brian.
Will take some pictures when these guys are all settled. Do you have a Cichlid Tank?

aquaticimports

At home I do not .At home I have a 90 Saltwater fish only tank, 30 Planted Tank ,12 gallon aquapod SPS tank and outside I have a 10,000 gallon koi pond. At the store I do have a show 210 African Cichlid Tank. I guess you could say I love fish.

teresa

At home I do not .At home I have a 90 Saltwater fish only tank, 30 Planted Tank ,12 gallon aquapod SPS tank and outside I have a 10,000 gallon koi pond. At the store I do have a show 210 African Cichlid Tank. I guess you could say I love fish.

Whoa!!!! You sure love fish. That is a pretty big Koi Pond and Cichlid tank.
Do you have pictures of your tanks? Love to see them.