Temperture questions

Sub Nate

I'm just getting my tank going I finished the cycle a month ago and put my cleaning crew in. I have about 6 hermits, 4 margarita snails, 1 Nassaris snail and a emerald crab. Oh my tank is a 28 gal Jbj with the metal halides. My question is what is a normal temp swing. my tank goes from 77-80 is this fine for fish and corals? I thought about a chiller but $400 is alot if this swing isn't to bad in info would be great.

acemow

The only issue that I've heard of with a temp. swing of more than a degree or two in a twenty-four period was my starfish may suffer and a consistent swing in temp. can damage the slime coat on my fish, making them susceptible to disease. But your temps are within the range that's okay for your setup. It's a problem for some corals, like acroporas, if you have them later down the road. Happy reefing!

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I wish my tank would only have a fluctuation of 2 degrees when the lights go on...lol

Just an FYI Margarita snails are from temperate zones and don't do well in reef setups.

redsea reefer

2-3 degrees is fine but not more than that, the temp fluctuates also in reefs around the world. I think its better to have that then just a steady unnatural temp. My normal temp is between 79-81

beasone

What is too warm in a tank? Ours is running around between 80 and 80.5., and we have not been running the lights continually yet (just cycling at this point). We have put a fan underneath to blow across the wet/dry.. any other tricks to keep temperature down with out purchasing a chiller? (not trying to hijack sub nate, thought it was within your original question..) :)

squiers007

The temps on reefs do not fluctuate on a daily basis. They may vary by a couple of degrees from winter to summer depending on the location of the reef, but to say that they have daily fluctuations of several degrees is inaccurate. The water volume is too great to fluctuate that much in one day.

OBXDIVEGU

The temps on reefs do not fluctuate on a daily basis. They may vary by a couple of degrees from winter to summer depending on the location of the reef, but to say that they have daily fluctuations of several degrees is inaccurate. The water volume is too great to fluctuate that much in one day.

I don't know about that. I'm an avid diver and every reef I've been on you could have a temp shift of up to 3-5 degrees during a single dive. The thermocline moves around all day with the tides and currents. And from winter to summer, you can expect 15 or more.

Aynesa

I've had my reef up to 86 degrees at one point with no ill effects. 83 is not uncommon. Most of the reefs of the ocean run between 81-83 degrees, on average. I'd say your temp is fine and you don't need a chiller.