temperature controllers are a must

Orlando-Jeff

So..yesterday I did my weekly WC on my C-130. As I always do, I shut my power head, return pump, chiller, chiller pump, and ATO off while doing my water change. After I'm done, I switch everything back on. Well, at 4 this morning, my temp controller alarm goes off. I normally have my heater hooked up to it but, this time of year here in Florida, a heater is not needed. I just keep it on to monitor my tank temperature. I get out of my warm bed to check out what the alarm is for and see that the temperature is 83 degrees. I normally have the tank at 78 degrees. The chiller says 78 but the controller says 83. That's strange....Then I look at all the switches and notice I forgot to turn the chiller pump back on...:duh: My temp controller just paid for itself...I turned the pump back on and 45 minutes later, everyone is happy. I just wish I could have gone back to bed but I get up at 5am..Moral of the story...get a temperature controller. You never know when you might need it and...make sure you turn everything back on....:yup::yup::yup:

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Hi Pat, unfortunately Red Sea do not produce any electronics such as temperature controllers, there are so many now to choose from I'm sure some members will happily give their experiences.

The price range now is also so comprehensive, on a personal note I use an Apex system for monitoring, the chiller takes care of heating and cooling and I also use a Seneye which monitor and also gives alarm notifications but no control.

Pat24601

Hi Pat, unfortunately Red Sea do not produce any electronics such as temperature controllers, there are so many now to choose from I'm sure some members will happily give their experiences.

The price range now is also so comprehensive, on a personal note I use an Apex system for monitoring, the chiller takes care of heating and cooling and I also use a Seneye which monitor and also gives alarm notifications but no control.

Thanks, Kev!

StirCrayzy

I have a cheapie Dr fosters controller, but lacks an alarm, so I ordered this one. Thx Jeff looks like as great budget option !
My big question though.....
Why in the heck are you overtemp at 4am ?
Holy crap, No AC?

Orlando-Jeff

Hi StirCrayzy
I only have one complaint when it comes to the C-130. Because it's a closed top system, the temperature always stays high ( at least for me ) That's the reason I purchased a chiller. My house stays at 78 degrees. I've read tons of posts complaining about the problem with the pumps running hot. Before I got a chiller, I could never get the temp below 82 or 83 degrees. The little fans they include really did nothing to help. I'm sure that's why they include a chiller connection for the system.

DaveK

Currently I'm using an Inkbird itc-308. Mine is not quite a year old. You can see it here (offsite) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011296704/?tag=reefsanc-20

The big advantage is that it can control heating and cooling at the same time. You can use it to control a heater and chiller. You could also control a fan in place of a chiller. It a little more expensive but it does more.