temp question

Snelly40

so i got an aqua control junior last night for my birthday, plugged in the temop probe, put it in the tank and it is saying 89 degrees, WOW!
my coralife digital therm is showing 80.1 ?????
whats up?

Snelly40

well, i cant get out to get another therm to see which is correct, so i have put ice in a large bowl with some water and am placing both probes inthere and we will see which shows 32 degrees

ab420

Neither should read 32 degrees, if the water was at 32 it would be frozen. I would really suggest finding a reliable heater that you can trust before making any adjustments to the temperature in the tank.

Snelly40

i thought water with ice in it will show 32...
my coralife one is showing 23!!!!!!!!!!2 which i know is wrong

PEMfish

It is not made for temps that extrema so not surprised it is off. Try a bowl of luke warm tap what with both thermometers in at the same time. Let them sit for a moment and see if they give the same reading. I'd like to know if its not just a variance in the tank.

Snelly40

i have them right next to each other in the tank now, and still different temps. i'll grab a third therm to see whats correct

Snelly40

just spoke to neptune who makes the ac jr and they say they calibrate it before its sent out to within +/- .5 degrees

Snelly40

too late for that, the faulty therm was the coralife one, who knows how long it was bad, but it was 10 DEGREES OFF!!!!!!!
i think this should solve alot of my issues

Mattfish

Just saw this one - we had a similar problem - and not surprisingly, the AC3 Pro was correct - I had to do the same and speak with Curt at Neptune to find out that they check all probes to +- .5 F.

The other thing to make sure about is the other probes except the Conductivity probe (if you have that) should all be within 6 inches of the temp probe since it acts as the electrical ground for the other probes - pH, ORP (and I believe the DO probe, which we don't have).

The conductivity probe needs to be electrically isolated from the temp probe to function correctly. In our case, I built a little acrylic cup to hang on the side of my sump/fuge and have the Phosphate Reactor effluent flowing into it, since it's only saltwater (as opposed to the Calcium Reactor effluent, which is lower pH and higher Alk, and I figured the dofferences might somehow affect either the probe's metering, or the life of the probe).

fatman

Has been struck by the ban stick
Are you guys sure that is not +/- 0.05 degrees they calibrate to within, as even the cheaper Reef Keeper 2 has a resolution to 0.1 degrees, meaning +/- 0.05 degrees that a customer can calibrate within. A half a degree is pretty poor resolution. I can not imagine that the Reef Keeper people are providing a temperature probe and its circuitry that has ten times better the resolution of the AC Jr. and the AC3 Pro. If so it would make me want to look at the resolution of the readings with Neptunes other probes and circuitry.

fatman

Has been struck by the ban stick
Resolution on the readout is .1F. calibration is .5F

Check with Neptune for more info.

Why? They have an instument that will calibrate to 5 times a more accurate temp then they calibrate too. That is strange. Admittedly a finer calibration would not really be to much advantage but if it can be readly done by them thenit should be done.

Mattfish

Whatever. I was answering your question. When you own the company and pay the bills, you can set the standards for the product..... Until then, they make a good product and those of us that choose to buy it do so.