TEA's RSM C250

TEA

Well, I've got our Cyano problem figured out I think. I bought a TDS meter today. The distilled water we've been buying registers 0 PPM. The water from the LFS registered 410 PPM. By comparison our own tap water registered 115. We'd of been better off using the tap water! Since using only distilled I've noticed a 95-99% decrease in the Cyano from when using water from the LFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danreef

Well, I've got our Cyano problem figured out I think. I bought a TDS meter today. The distilled water we've been buying registers 0 PPM. The water from the LFS registered 410 PPM. By comparison our own tap water registered 115. We'd of been better off using the tap water! Since using only distilled I've noticed a 95-99% decrease in the Cyano from when using water from the LFS.

Mama mia !!! I can't believe they are selling that water.

I found that my LFS (excelent guys) RODI water had ~ 30 ppm. I told them. They knew it wasn't perfect, but with all the water they produce is not easy to keep top water quality. My corals were doing great. I have my own system now.

Did the LFS know about theither high TDS ? Could be they are not aware.

I used destile water for 6 months and all was perfect. Then I moved to NSW and returned to Salt due to $$$.

Cheers
Daniel

Pat24601

Wow. Just wow.

Reactions: TEA

Pat24601

I used destile water for 6 months and all was perfect. Then I moved to NSW and returned to Salt due to $$$.

Cheers
Daniel

I'm still using NSW for my salt, but I'm using rodi for my top off. I was buying it from my LFS out of laziness, but recently I started using my RODI again. Tea's experience makes me think maybe I should stick with my own.

Also,using my RODI stops me from buying hundreds of dollars in coral when I go into get water. :)

I'll need to remind myself how often to change filters in my rodi...

TEA

Mama mia !!! I can't believe they are selling that water.

I found that my LFS (excelent guys) RODI water had ~ 30 ppm. I told them. They knew it wasn't perfect, but with all the water they produce is not easy to keep top water quality. My corals were doing great. I have my own system now.

Did the LFS know about theither high TDS ? Could be they are not aware.

Cheers
Daniel

When I discussed my Cyano problem with them one of the things they ruled out was source water. Perhaps they are unaware. I'll be making them aware next I am in the store. They have a nice little setup and their tanks are pretty well clean. No Cyano or excess algae that I can see. Perhaps they are off schedule with filter changes on their system. Had I not seen the black algae in their water I would probably have not gone to the trouble to test it.

Last edited:

TEA

IMG_0016.JPG Trying to determine what that little guy is. See him at the base of the rock in the middle of the picture. He stays like this during the day but after the lights go out he extends to about two inches long. I have seen two in my tank so far and I think I have more. From my research they are spinoid worms. Any other ideas?

TEA

Stays put in one spot far as I can tell. I just noticed this one the other day but I've one that looks just like it in the back of the tank. Never seen that one move either.

Oxylebius

Okay, well, w/o much else to go on by way of description, my initial thought is some sort of corallimorph, a nocturnal one since it likes the shaded parts of the tank and only comes out at night.

Can you explain what it looks like when it is extended at night? Any tentacles? Movement/swaying? When it extends is it a straight line or circular? If you gently poke it with a wooden skewer (the flat end not the pointed end of the skewer, you don't want to unnecessarily harm it) what does it do?

TEA

Hmm, hard to see at night. When I shine a light near or on it the tentacle(s) retract quickly. So yes I know it has tentacles. I think it has at least two. One tentacle is what you see in the picture but it extends quite long, about two inches. The other tentacle is not visible during the day and is much thinner. They both sway in the current freely but are controlled movements as well. Makes me think of spaghetti worm tentacles. Extended it's more of a straight line but it does/can curl up. I've not poked it. LOL I'm assuming it would retract just as when the light hits it.

TEA

c2e37888665816dc1419dd8aff0a5f50.jpg

Here is a picture of the one in the back of the tank.

TEA

Wondering if this could be a Echiuran Worm.

Edited: After some additional research I now believe what I have are: Digitate hydroids. The few pictures I've seen on the web look like mine when they are stretched out. Some say they are a nuisance and some say they are harmless. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on them as best I can.

Last edited:

TEA

18506361109198341336ae95fe9c8d90.jpg

My wife has her heart set on getting a Green Mandarin in the near future. Since I would not want the little fella to starve I've set up a copepod breeding station. I used an old 10 gal tank we had, one of the old lights that we had before we switched to LED on the FW tank, a small heater, and a power head that I soaked the filter in my display tank sump for about three weeks to establish a bacteria base. I built some "pod condos" and added some Chaeto. Hopefully I'll be able to establish a stable pod population that will help feed a future Mandarin.

Oxylebius

:biggrin: pod condos, they look prefect.
Make sure there is water flow through all sides of it.
They look perfect to be able to take out of the pod tank and shake it over to DT to dislodge the pods.

TEA

Why thank you! I thought about flow and may try to turn them lengthwise later on. And the easy shaking part is exactly what I was going for. As a bonus I got some mini brittle stars in the chaeto that I'll keep an eye on and will look to transfer to the DT at a later date.

TEA

b910404d6e337c3ef66e189690b83d4f.jpg

Got a pretty decent picture of one of the worms in the back of the tank that was fully extended early this morning.