tds readings

faust

i just received my tds meter in the mail. so i checked the reading of a jug off ro/di water i had here, the ro/di unit is at jeris office.
i have a reading of 005 ppm. so what does this mean!!! do i need to change filters or get new membranes or is it fine for now. if it helps its a seachem pinnacle 200gpd ro/di

Luukosian

I would just change the DI resin but it depends on how long you've used the other parts of the filter as to what else needs replacing.

chipmunkofdoom2

Many people say 0ppm or bust, but if you think about it 5ppm isn't that bad. I used tap water for over 2 years on my tank, and my tap water tests at 187ppm or so. My RO/DI unit is cheap, and usually spits out water anywhere below 4ppm, and really, you don't know what those 4 parts per million are, but if was using 187ppm water for over 2 years without issue, I'll gamble on those 4ppm.

Just watch your TDS and I say if it gets any higher try replacing something. How old is the membrane/cartridges?

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
faust

005 ppm

Can't happen that must be 5.00 ppm or .005 x 1000 = 5.00. We usually change out the DI at around ~1-2 ppm. 5 ppm is what a RO often gives for many, with no DI, so it looks like the DI is wasted.

Boomer

Chip

My RO/DI unit is cheap, and usually spits out water anywhere below 4ppm,

Then something is wrong with that unit cheap or not.

I used tap water ~ 45ppm for 20 years :)

Origami2547

Check the water coming right out of the RO/DI output rather than taking a reading off of the stuff that may have been sitting in the jug. You may yet get the same reading, but better to know that you're not getting readings from some jug contaminant.

Boomer

Good point Tom ;) Not only that but even if the water container is not contaminate free CO2 will enter into the water from the air, where ionization takes place producing some HCO3- which will raise the TDS.

rmlevasseur

I had this problem when I started and Boomer fixed me right up. Check the TDS right after the RO. I found I burned up my DI much quicker than expected.

As for acceptable TDS, doesn't it matter what the dissolved solid actually is to determine whether it is acceptable or not? I would think some dissolved iron would be better than copper...

MatthewJ

+1 on checking right out of the unit. I have a jug that narrows at the top. I find that I get as much as 5 ppm at the top after it's been sitting a while, but if I shake it up just the tiniest bit and retest...gets down pretty close to zero. I assume something along the lines of what Boomer said is happening. So mix it up a bit at least before testing the container water.

faust

faust

005 ppm

Can't happen that must be 5.00 ppm or .005 x 1000 = 5.00. We usually change out the DI at around ~1-2 ppm. 5 ppm is what a RO often gives for many, with no DI, so it looks like the DI is wasted.

boomer, the resin was changed out 4 months ago. it really has very little color change. just the top inch of di has changed color. the seachem pinnacle is a 3 chamber sed, carbon di. what i did is ordered a twin di add on. so now i will have 5 chambers. i also found out from the water dept we have clorimines in the water.
so i will set it up sed, carbon, cat carbon and twin di chambers