Tank turned 49 this year

Paul B

Now I am cured enough that I think I can clean my algae scrubber. I can just about raise my left arm high enough to dis connect the thing and take it off.. It is really clogged and needs attention because if I don't do it soon,it will start to squirt water on the walls.
I just want to make sure I can put the thing back together because that is what feeds my Reverse UG filter.
It's a busy part of the year now for me and every one else with all the parties and such, but some things we need to do eventually. I don't test, change much water or have controllers or dosers to deal with so I will find the time.
I have not changed any water for quite a while but that will have to wait until after New Years day.
I am also feeding the corals yeast. I don't know if it will do anything but maybe they will rise.

Paul B

I went to the guy who operated on my shoulder this morning. I went into the small room they put you in before they see you and the physicians helper Supermodel checked out my shoulder. Then the Dr. came in and everything is great. I can even go swimming, as long as I don't do the crawl stroke. I can do that side thing where I will look like I can swim like an algae bleenie.
In a few months, I will be as good as new.
clear.png

Today I am working on my new Steampunk Lamp. This one has a gate valve that turns it on and off, very cool if I ever finish it.

I went to an LFS after the doctor to see if they had any more porcelain crabs but they didn't get them in yet. I love those things and want a bunch more. I couldn't buy any crabs so I got some food.
I didn't change water since before Thanksgiving and it will take a few more weeks before I do. I am not allowed to lift heavy stuff yet. My fish don't care because even if I didn't have shoulder surgery, I probably would not have changed water yet.
Everything in my tank is looking good and they are all still pregnant. Those Bluestripe pipefish seem to just constantly spawn which is OK with me.
One of my Bangai's died a while ago from old age (their lifespan is only about 3 years) and I thought the other one would go soon, but he must have found some vitamins because he looks better than ever. When he goes I want to get another pair of something but I can't decide what that will be. I don't do tangs and angels because I want something interesting, odd, unusual, rare and cool. I also want something that can spawn in a tank.
If you have any ideas, let me know.
clear.png

DaveK

... When he goes I want to get another pair of something but I can't decide what that will be. I don't do tangs and angels because I want something interesting, odd, unusual, rare and cool. I also want something that can spawn in a tank.
If you have any ideas, let me know.
clear.png

You could consider some green sailfin mollies. (grin)

Now obviously, you wouldn't put them in a reef system, even though they can easily live in full strength SW. However, they do meet most of the factors your looking for. They are interesting, odd and unusual. They are not rare, except at your LFS, but they can be cool. They will also spawn easily. I always liked them if I could find good fish. Regretfully, today, most of the mollies being sold are more or less garbage compared to what we would see at the LFS when we were kids.

Paul B

As a matter of fact the LFS I go to has a bunch of them in their tanks. I think they give them away for free for algae or something. They are to common. I need something really weird but I want it to spawn. Dragon faced pipes are cool but I had a lot of them. I have one clingfish but Irarely see him and I don't know how to sex them. Pinecone fish are very cool as are flashlight fish but they get to big and pinecones are over $100.00. I raised seahorses many times so I ruled them out. The fish I am looking for don't have to be colorful, just odd or rare.

Annette Garcia

Hey Paul I was reading about the clingfish and they say that they can change sex. Is that true cuz I have one and was wondering about getting one more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul B

I don't know as I can't even tell what sex mine is. There are a few types of clingfish and they all look very different.
You probably have this type

Here is my current one. Look at how those colors just pop at you. :cool:

Annette Garcia

Paul I'm soo excited I went to my lfs and they had a clingfish a small one so I brought him home. I also brought 2 green clown gobies so now I have 3. And I also got a set of small type of orange watchman gobies not sure really. I'll post a picture I'm sure you can tell me what they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul B

Annette, those are very cool. I would rather have a bunch of weird, non descript, odd fish than a tank full of tangs. The types of fish you, and me have require more attention as they should be target fed.